New to using barbells - anyone use a pad?

Options
Hi, I'm a 40 year old female who has just starting getting into strength training.

I really want to get into squatting with a barbell and have tried a few pump classes to start with using light weights, the problem is I'm not feeling it in my legs! but getting excruciating pain across my upper back where the bar rests! Does this eventually go away?

Has anyone tried one of these barbell pads? do they work and if so can you reccommend a good one?

Thank you so much for your time!!

Replies

• makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I tried once but didn't like it.
    Ask at the gym if they have any so you don't have to buy one by yourself...

Is it possible that the pain is caused by bad form not the barbell? I imagine it can be a little uncomfy but excruciating pain doesn't sound right.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I use them, I get bruises if I don't. The thicker the pad the better for me. My gym provides them.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My gym has one as well - I bring a washcloth or small towel for when I get sweaty, and I wrap that around the pad, just because the idea of using the same pad as other sweaty people kind of freaks me out. :p
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im buying one this weekend as I do 3 pump classes a week.

Are you definitely putting the weight on the fleshy part of your back rather than accross your neck and on your shoulder bones.

Its a bit uncomfortable but if its causing you that much pain I'd guess you're carrying it on your neck.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I used one initially, but as my back muscles got bigger and firmer, I found I didn't need it anymore.

Ditto on letting the bar drop down onto the fleshy part. I usually draw my shoulder blades together a few times to activate those muscles and prep them to accept the weight.

Good for you for starting weight training. It has made all the difference for me!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you're getting pain on your back while suqatting, there may be a problem with your form, so a pad won't necessarily make your squats any more effective. When you un-rack the bar, make sure it rests across the back of your shoulders- too high and it can potentially roll forward and place stress on your neck; too low and you compromise your ability to keep it on your back during the movement.

Make sure that throughout the movement, your chest is out and your shoulder blades are back. This will help keep your upper body stable and keep your spine in its natural curved position and thus protected.

I have used a pad before, but I found two major drawbacks to them. First, I find it can be difficult to get myself centered under the bar, as the pad can slide from side to side. Second, as I'm sweating during my squats, the outside of the pad can become slick and feel like it will slide off. I've been squatting with no pad for the past 2 years or so and have made some tremendous gains in the meantime. I do get scratched occasionally, depending on the bar I use, but to me it's worth it knowing that I can still squat safely and make substantial progress.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't use a pad. Fix how you're holding the barbell. IT throws off your center of gravity, and prevents you from becoming conditioned.

youtube up mark rippetoe's video on squat bar position. Should help.

People load 800+lbs on their upper backs without a pad. You can handle it.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies there are definitely two schools of thought on this one! My gym does not have pads. I did ask my class instructor to check my form and she said it looked ok! I have a slightly protruding vertebrae at T1 but lots of people have this! I'll try and grin and bear it and see if a towel helps and just hope it gets better.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    don't use a pad.
    the bar can roll, and thats pretty dangerous. and you should work on learning to keep the back tight and sit the bar on your muscles.

people squat 1000 pounds without a pad, you should be fine with 95. It'll hurt for a week or two, then you'll get used to it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Don't use a pad. Fix how you're holding the barbell. IT throws off your center of gravity, and prevents you from becoming conditioned.

just read this after I made my post. theres an echo in here :p
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

just read this after I made my post. theres an echo in here :p

Echo! No pad. Need pad = Doing it wrong.