The best gaming system to grow with a 5 yr old girl?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cryssy27
    Cryssy27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please think before you get her one. I got my grandson a playstation at age 5 and I regret it so very much. He is 100% a loner who only wants to play his games, read about them and talk about them. He has no desire to be creative, to play, to make friends, he doesn't want to even think about earning a living in 2 years. He has no desire to get his own place, to learn to drive, to have a girlfriend. His only focus has been from the time he turned 7 has been video gaming. His mom used to push him out the door to make him go play, the other kids quit asking him because he didn't want to play he only wanted to talk about video games. He is 16 now and many many times we have tried to get him to stop or slow down. We took it all away and he made friends with a kid from school, we were so happy. Turns out they were at his house playing video games. We stopped letting him go there and he was like a caged animal. Pacing and figeting, whining complaining, pouting acting like a kid does when they are beyond bored. He made life miserable for us having to listen to him. I told him I would pay for any and as many activities he wanted to do including going to movies. I said I would drive him the 40 miles to town so he could do anything and I would wait in the car or at mc donald until he was ready to go. He wanted nothing but those video games. I blame myself all the time for introducing him to that game system so young. I ruined his life.I took a creative boy who used to make inventions and set elaborate traps for pretend ghosts, draw kingdoms and talk to us non stop I turned him into a kid who spends all of his time escaping reality. Please think, maybe she could wait.

Some things you have said here from your experiences tugs at my heart. I started gaming at a young age. I still game quite a few hours a day. But one thing I can say is that my parents never understood why I enjoyed gaming. To me gaming is an activity that I enjoyed. My parents STILL don't understand why I game. But you know what? I still grew up to be a decent person. They did not always enjoy hearing me talk about games, but they cared and they listened to me talk about them. I work a full time job, I volunteer at the local animal shelter, I have gaming friends that I visit, and I enjoy life. I can see why he got upset when you took what he loved away. I acted the same way. I guess all I can say is talk to him and try to understand why he games so much. Maybe there is a problem in his life he is trying to hide? And keep an open mind with him. I plan to let my children game and be active just need to find that balance.

To the OP I love my DS and my Xbox 360 both have great games on them for a 5 year old!
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have 4 daughters. I have a Wii, Xbox 360, and 4 DS's. My kids play the Xbox 360 and the DS's about equal time. The Wii is not used much at all anymore.

Edit - they are 11, 9, 7, and 3
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would say Wii.

wii fit is awesome! use the straps :wink:

The reason I say wii fit/wii games, is many are group activities and encourages getting up and moving around. It's for non-gamers.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tilran your response to me was:
    I feel bad for your grandson...not because you got him the console...but because of your way of thinking. Not every person is going to be like their elders. He is still a young boy and growing into his life...and I PROMISE you, the things like not wanting to get his driver's license or a job and things like that do NOT stem from video games...that is just absurd. That is due to the way he was raised. How are the role models in his life? How is his education. I really dont want to know the answers to these as I'm not here for a debate about this...but it is more questions for you and the parents. Quit blaming video games for the way you raise your children.
    My response to you is
    You have no idea how my grandson was raised or loved. You are answering based on your life experiences and opinion. I never said how I felt about him, and in point of fact he is one of the most loved child I know of. He is a respected part of our family and included in all decisions, discussions and ventures. I know he talks non stop about video games because he talks to us about them. I can tell you all about the games because I listen and let him talk. I know about all the things he is not interested in because we talk, I listen to him. He has never been ridiculed, put down or otherwise made to feel less than our precious grandchild. His system was taken away and replaced with efforts to expand his world, nurture his mind, get his view of the world enlightened. He has been given his system back and he is now a little more involved in real life but I was making a point for starting the gaming systems a little later in a childs development. For you to put your inadequate feelings about what was obviously done to you is out of line. You do not need to make up things in order to give you something to write in your comments. I feel sorry for you who obviously feels the need to post a comment even though you have no information to give the OP but instead focused in on someone you felt like you could bully. Wrong.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of introducing my children to technology. The outdoors please is what we all grew up with and what a child shall not miss. Children these days are overweight because of one factor. They stay inside and overeat inside as well. Consider these factors that happen to be proven facts in today's society.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I LOVE how people demonize technology, all while typing on a message board! Hypocrites.
  • ZhayneRaye
    Options
    Leap pad has some good learning systems that you can look into (Leap pad, V motion) but If you are thinking of the major kinds I like the DS (not the 3D cuz its bad for childrens eyes) or the WII (which is good for motor skills as fun) Those two seem to have more young girl or any childrens games
    i ahd one of those wen i was younger and it was the coolest think in the world
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I recomend the ...Outdoors and imagination

This!

You do realize Christmas is in December, right? In December, the majority of the states have cold weather and staying outside for long lengths of time with a 5 year old isn't idealistic?

as a technologically challenged person, I like the wii. It's designed for people like me. We also have the kintect (the husband is into all that stuff) and while the dance thing is nice... a 5 yr old isn't going to really play with it.

good luck choosing. maybe ask her parents, or is it a surprise kind of thing?
  • jenilia1
    Options
    Thanks to response....