Just weighed in and sadly crying like a baby

Options
I have been on my journey to health since March 3 and have moved through my weight loss loosing 92lbs to date. When I stepped on the scale this a.m. my weight was up four pounds. (I haven't deviated from my food plan and although been exercising irregularly--not everyday as I should but every other day).

I know how hard it's going to be to re-loose those four pounds and it has just devastated me. I'm so, so sad and depressed.

Since I always try to be positive...I am proud that I'm not going to food to find solace.

But, I can't stop crying.....

Replies

• 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You poor thing.

Look - you've lost a massive amount of weight. Although 4 pounds seems devastating now - think back to how pleased you were when you originally reached the weight you are now (the weight you are now upset about).

My favourite analogy of the above for how we perceive situations differently is the idea of being on an aeroplane returning from holiday. You look down at the ground below and you are sad because you are returning home and it is the end of your holiday. However, the other half of the plane is looking down and are really excited because they are just starting the holiday and they are happy about all the new things they are going to see once they are down on the ground.

Yet you are all looking at the same landscape.

You clearly know how to lose weight - so this 4 pounds must just be a temporary blip...hang on in there, keep perspective and look at your CURRENT weight like you're one of the people just arriving on holiday.

Good Luck!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. You eat so little, I see quite a few 800 calorie days in there. I can't imagine that your food intake caused an actual gain. Did you take in more sodium than usual the past couple of days? I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Try to keep in mind all the weight you have lost so far - it's an impressive feat! And good for you for not falling prey to comfort eating right now. You WILL overcome this scale malfunction! (Hey, could your scale need new batteries?)
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

You clearly know how to lose weight - so this 4 pounds must just be a temporary blip...hang on in there, keep perspective and look at your CURRENT weight like you're one of the people just arriving on holiday.

I think this is the absolutely best way to look at this. I can't thank you enough for taking time to reply.... I have posted before and haven't had much response so your kind words made me smile.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey to health since March 3 and have moved through my weight loss loosing 92lbs to date. When I stepped on the scale this a.m. my weight was up four pounds. (I haven't deviated from my food plan and although been exercising irregularly--not everyday as I should but every other day).

I know how hard it's going to be to re-loose those four pounds and it has just devastated me. I'm so, so sad and depressed.

Since I always try to be positive...I am proud that I'm not going to food to find solace.

But, I can't stop crying.....

You've lost 92lbs. NINETY TWO .

Look in the mirror.
    Go look at your before pictures.
    Go look at the clothes you used to wear that don't even come close to fitting properly anymore.

And when you're done doing that, pull yourself together.

You got this.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like it now, but weight isn't everything! You've come so far, listen to how you feel and look at how you LOOK! I've gained 5 pounds in one week before but all my clothes still fit the same and I didn't feel any different. Maybe a little bloated in the tummy, but nothing else... Pay attention to these factors more. If you gained 4 pounds overnight, chances are it's a fluke. You would've had to eat like 10,000 calories in one day just to do that. So keep your head up! You've come this far! Don't let 4 pounds outweigh a whole 90 that you've lost! :)
  • Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done amazing things, 93 lbs since March! That is AWESOME.

Sometimes are bodies are unkind to us. We know we have done the right thing with what we have out IN our bodies, but the right things aren't coming OFF our bodies.

Keep up the healthy habits, maybe change up your workout. Surprise your body a little ;) Good luck and Chin up! Your progress is inspirational!

25851322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    You've got this! You have come so far already and I have no doubt that you will continue to see progress and reach your goals. This is just a small road block and you will get past it. Just try again tomorrow.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Robin I have followed your journey with you since I started here. You have lost a HUGE amount of weight. Ok right now you are looking at it as you gained 4lbs, I am looking at you like 'OMG this women has lost 88lbs!' that is a huge amount, seriously. This is obviously a blip because you constantly lose. Keep smiling darling and remember that you are doing amazingly!
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can't thank you all enough for replying.

Your kind words are making me feel better.....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You have lost a HUGE amount of weight - focus on that, its fantastic.

I would however recommend that you take a diet break for a week or two (eat at what should be your maintenance for 2 weeks). You have been on very low calories. Dieting is stressful to us and can cause hormonal imbalances, especially the leaner you get, and especially for women. When you come off it, I would suggest you eat your calorie allotment. This may slow down your weight loss but imo it will be easier on both your body and your hormones (as well as giving you a mental break). You may gain a couple of pounds, but this is temporary and would be food/water weight.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is hormonal, sodium, or something like that. HANG IN THERE. Stay on track, and you WILL drop back down. Sending you BIG HUGS. You are a true inspiration!!!! Keep up the good work!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    You've done it before and know what it took to get there. Now once you've lost it again you may need to play with your numbers to get that magical maintain weight. No it's not easy and may takes weeks or even months to get set. Just remember how you felt when you hit that highest weight loss mark...think how big of a smile you had on your face. Use these tears as motivation to get back at it and do your best. You can do it...you have done it. Good luck...
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You have lost a HUGE amount of weight - focus on that, its fantastic.

I would however recommend that you take a diet break for a week or two (eat at what should be your maintenance for 2 weeks). You have been on very low calories. Dieting is stressful to us and can cause hormonal imbalances, especially the leaner you get, and especially for women. When you come off it, I would suggest you eat your calorie allotment. This may slow down your weight loss but imo it will be easier on both your body and your hormones (as well as giving you a mental break). You may gain a couple of pounds, but this is temporary and would be food/water weight.

This woman is smart.... listen to her. :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Hey, no worries! I'll tell you a secret...I'm up 5 pounds. Eep! It's okay, I got this, I just need to get my head in the game again. You've got your's in already, and that's great. Big plus right there.
    Just keep on trucking, dry those tears, and go look up a healthy recipe to treat yourself to.
  • RollinwithRach
    RollinwithRach Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to read through everyone else's replies so this may be repetitive (if so, I'm sorry) but don't beat yourself up. It could be a million things that have made you gain those four pounds (water, sodium, muscle, time of the month). I know how much it sucks to see the numbers go up on the scale but think about how much they've gone down since the very beginning; you have acheived such greatness! Think about how much healthier you feel most of the time, how many compliments you've received on your weight loss, how good buying clothes in a smaller size feels.

Chin up! I'm sure that next week you'll be back on track :smile:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, some days you're only eating ~700 cals. You need to eat more. That 4lbs is fluid retention. It WILL go away. No one gains fat that fast. Try making sure you never NET below 1,200 cals for a while. It doesn't matter what the scale says. It's the least of your worries. You're NOT giving your body enough cals or nutrition.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Stop right meow!!! You have accomplished so much and come so far -- and you will not turn back. I am a small person, 105-108 lbs depending on the day -- yes, literally the day. I weighed myself Monday morning and was 2lbs heavier for no real reason at all. My clothes fit tighter sometimes and other days they fit loose again. It's literally called life, my dear. Don't listen to the scale, I know it's hard to do, and I often need to remind myself to take my own advice, because I realized that I did not actually gain two pounds overnight -- just like you did not gain four.

My point, keep smiling and keep doing what you're doing.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I only had about 35ish pounds to lose, so when I see that you've lost 92. . .I'm in awe!!! And, on any given day, my scale and I dance 4-5 lbs in any direction. Today we're 2 lbs heavier than yesterday, but 2 lbs lighter than 10 days ago. It's not the end of the world, although you feel like it is.

Just do what you know to do. Be mindful to feed your body ENOUGH, and stay on track with y our activity. Those 4 lbs will slip away before you know it!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Most days you don't even net 1000 calories. Do you think that your body has stopped losing because you are not fueling it properly? Especially considering the frequency in which you exercise..

The same thing happened to me when I hit 50lbs lost. I was eating far too little. I lost a ton of weight in just a few months then it slowly started creeping on. I've pointed out to many people recently that just because they have been successful eating a low calorie diet, doesn't mean that it will work forever. I would suggest upping your calories. You don't eat enough to have gained an ACTUAL pound (around 3200 calories in surplus) so it must be water weight that you are retaining!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Could be water or maybe you haven't gone to the bathroom regularly? Don't give up...this is nothing......