What is lifting 'heavy'?

Options
Ok, I know the answer to this is personal preference but I was just interested in what is considered heavy and what is considered light. I hear all these great things about lifting heavy but I have no idea if that is 10,20 or 100lbs. I have two big 5lb dumbells that I find really tough to get through my reps but then I hear people saying they use 5lbs to do 30 day shred etc (which is use 2lbs) and then I feel like a right weed! Just looking for some pointed as I'd love to lift heavy as part of my regime.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you are dying after 2 reps: awesome heavy
    if you are dying after 5-8 reps: "Heavy"
    if you can do 9+ reps: Not heavy
    if you can do 12+ reps: lol it's cardio

The point is, stick to compound multi-joint movements as your main exercises, and increase the weight every workout.

When my wife started lifting, she shook under an empty barbell doing squats (That's only 45lbs.)
    Within a few months, she had 190+lbs sitting on her shoulders, kicking that barbell's *kitten* like it owed her money.
    Point is, 45lbs was -heavy-, but not for long! Now 200lbs is heavy to her.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Wow! I can't even imagine lifting 200lbs!! I've just bought New Rules for lifting so will have a read of that and hopefully I'll soon look back on this and laugh! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to your own abilities, and adding more weight on a regular basis. It's an amount that's heavy enough to be challenging, especially by the last rep, but also able to maintain good form.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Wow! I can't even imagine lifting 200lbs!! I've just bought New Rules for lifting so will have a read of that and hopefully I'll soon look back on this and laugh! :)

You absolutely will. =)
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

This basically sums it all up. If it's heavy to you then you will know it! If it's too easy then you're doing it wrong! When I started I did a pyramid until I found my max weight.

So lets say bench:

85lbs (inc bar weight). I do 3 sets of 8 reps. If I can complete this group then the next workout I will go 85 85 90 if I can do that the next workout day I will do 85 90 90. Then I just keep going and going (At least that's the idea).
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you feel is heavy to you. For me I start out at a decent weight where I can knock out ten reps then the second set I go heavier and I'm wavering around the 7-8 rep and usually need help to push it to ten and on the third set I go heavier still and if I can barely get to 4 and 5 is a struggle I know I lifted heavy enough for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know the answer to this is personal preference but I was just interested in what is considered heavy and what is considered light. I hear all these great things about lifting heavy but I have no idea if that is 10,20 or 100lbs. I have two big 5lb dumbells that I find really tough to get through my reps but then I hear people saying they use 5lbs to do 30 day shred etc (which is use 2lbs) and then I feel like a right weed! Just looking for some pointed as I'd love to lift heavy as part of my regime.

Don't feel bad! Just keep at it, and your strength will gradually improve.
  • kristiontheinside
    kristiontheinside Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

You will.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Awesome explanation! Haha love it!!!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When my wife started lifting, she shook under an empty barbell doing squats (That's only 45lbs.)
    Within a few months, she had 190+lbs sitting on her shoulders, kicking that barbell's *kitten* like it owed her money.

Truth: this part made me LOL for real. I read it out loud to my strength training buddy and he LOLed, too. Awesome analogy!

Kudos to your wife; I have pure admiration for her! I can only dream of doing squats and deadlifts with 200 lbs (busted left knee being the cause). But I still lift as heavy as I can 3x a week with free weights.

:flowerforyou:
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    How "heavy" something is relative to your strength level is referred to as intensity and is best expressed as a percentage of your 1 rep max. Typically, 85% of your 1rm or higher would be considered heavy, 50% to 75% moderate and below 50% light.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's not a specific weight, and it depends on the individual. For me, heavy is whatever weight I'm at where I can only do about 4-5 reps. Doing 15-20 reps got me nowhere for years. I mean it was better than nothing for sure, but I didn't get the results I was looking for. Once I started lifting heavy, I started seeing the real benefits. I love it!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know as well.