Weight lifting and pushing too hard?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I recently returned to lifting after about a month absence. Had forgotten how horrible DOMS was especially in the legs. Although I know that if I keep at it for a few weeks, will likely no longer be an issue.

Keep on keeping on.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    It took some experimenting to figure out what and how much I should eat before and after. When I eat something that takes more energy to digest (like proteins and fats) right before a workout, I feel like crap the whole time. If I don't eat enough afterward I feel like crap for days on end.

So my magic combo is an apple and almonds (I count out 16) 1.5 hours prior to my workout. I do a protein smoothie (plain greek yogurt, almond milk, chocolate whey protein powder, frozen strawberries and ice) after strength training workouts, followed by dinner of about 600 calories. I tend to recover much faster and I get stronger each week. 97% of the time I have lots of energy for my workout and am in beast mode. The other 3% are sometimes just one of those days where you slog through a workout. It happens.

Try some different things out and see what works for you.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think your body is trying to tell you it would like to try some Yoga instead - :flowerforyou:

Hijack Fail

It wasn't my aim to Hijack the thread DavPul; only to contribute with an alternative solution. It was rejected everyone is happy. Have a flower :-) :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And wtf at the yoga comment.

Never tried - nothing gained eh? :flowerforyou:

Don't knock it til you try it...

She was asking if her feeling sh1tty later in the day was a result of pushing too hard lifting. No one knocked yoga. Yoga wasn't part of the question.

Yoga wasn't part of the question I agree, but considering the OP was reporting feeling sick, possibly after lifting heavy, I thought I might offer an alternative suggestion as a possible answer.

Sorry if my enthusiasm for my chosen health path has caused so much anger; my apologies to anyone offended and my sincere best wishes to firstsip (OP).

Dude, you post something about yoga in every weight training thread. What's up with that? Do you see yourself as the yoga savior to the weight training crowd? Give it a rest!! You want to discuss yoga, start a yoga thread. BTW, have checked out your profile pics. I wouldn't say your results so far really qualify you to be giving any "how to" advice.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    QUOTE:"Dude, you post something about yoga in every weight training thread. What's up with that? Do you see yourself as the yoga savior to the weight training crowd? Give it a rest!! You want to discuss yoga, start a yoga thread. BTW, have checked out your profile pics. I wouldn't say your results so far really qualify you to be giving any "how to" advice"

That's why I'm here - to lose weight - and if I wanted to hide the fact that I was two stone overweight I would have kept my profile private. I can't apologise for loving yoga - I guess you love your weight training too. It's a shame we can't share the same arena as I don't believe I have ever slagged off weight training or anyone who chooses that discipline; each to their own.

I promise to keep out of the weight training posts from now on; signing out.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think a headache and nausea hours after lifting once is probably more a coincidence than a cause.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    try having some carbs beforehand, not after. protein shake would be better after.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Agree with DavPul - your body is probably adjusting to the new activity of lifting, and keep after it, and those symptoms will probably go away
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it had never happened before, and happened a few hours LATER, so not even immediately after. I'm kind of attributing it to probably not eating enough right after?

And wtf at the yoga comment.

I have read in multiple places that you should replace at least 1/2 of the calories you burn when you refuel and ideally within 30-45 minutes after completing your workout.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I used to feel nauseous after legs and deadlifts. I would crawl out of the gym (not literally) and then be wiped out for the rest of the day. Made me hate leg day but I kept with it and now it is much better. Im sure diet is a factor but it may just take some getting used to.

Might not be related but I incorporated some high intensity cardio also. Not long sessions but like 10-20 minutes of intense cardio. Started with HITT until I could go hard for the whole session. I think that really helped with my lifting. I am not nearly as winded and recover much faster between sets.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    try having some carbs beforehand, not after. protein shake would be better after.

High GI carbs after, not before. If you're not going low carb, any pre-workout carbs should be low GI so you don't have swings in insulin and glycogen availability during your workout. Taking in carbs pre-workout (30 min) puts you in a hypoglycemic state about when you'd be hitting your most intense sets (30-50 minutes into workout).

See Carb Backloading book for better explanation if you're curious.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

High GI carbs after, not before. If you're not going low carb, any pre-workout carbs should be low GI so you don't have swings in insulin and glycogen availability during your workout. Taking in carbs pre-workout (30 min) puts you in a hypoglycemic state about when you'd be hitting your most intense sets (30-50 minutes into workout).

See Carb Backloading book for better explanation if you're curious.

as I was reading this I thought to myself "someone has read CBL".

Agreed. I don't take in carbs before training and I've hit PRs lately............
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    traing hard = feeling like crap afterwards.

it happens. youll be fine.

Agreed.

The other thing is to check your diet. If you're constantly nauseous, feeling thirsty, your diet and/or fluid in-take is probably not very good.
    as I was reading this I thought to myself "someone has read CBL".

Agreed. I don't take in carbs before training and I've hit PRs lately............

Too much emphasis gets placed by some on peri-workout nutrition. I follow IF, train fasted, and then don't eat until almost 5 hours after I train. I take some BCAA's in-between like the IF guy (name?) recommends but that's it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Agree with DavPul - your body is probably adjusting to the new activity of lifting, and keep after it, and those symptoms will probably go away

Well, I've been lifting for three months... so I don't think it's that. I had a week break; I don't necessarily think it would be that, since lifting was almost easy after the week break (I only upped each weight by about 5% to play it safe).

And since I know people don't read all the posts: it was just this once. I always train to failure, but I've never felt nauseous like this with headaches. I didn't happen to eat too much, hence my theory. I asked because I felt SO sick, I never want it to happen again.

Also, I'm low carb... because I don't have a thyroid. So, I'm going to go with my endo's recommendations ;)
  • mmapags
    Options
    We all have those sucky workouts from time to time. May have just been your nutrition that day and possibly the amount of sleep the night before. I had one that was horrible a couple of weeks ago and it turned out I was coming down with a cold but didn't really have symptoms yet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    We all have those sucky workouts from time to time. May have just been your nutrition that day and possibly the amount of sleep the night before. I had one that was horrible a couple of weeks ago and it turned out I was coming down with a cold but didn't really have symptoms yet.

Agreed. Based on the OP's info where she said this was basically a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it. Since she's been lifting for 3 months we can't pin in on the lifting at all. Probably just coming down with something, or some bad fish or whatever. Hard workouts tend to lower the immune system so something you barely would have felt can affect you more than usual. Don't worry about it unless it becomes a trend.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Lots of great advice guys. But, has the OP considered yoga?

J/K

One theory I have that hasn't been brought up...did you strain your muscles in your neck? Maybe from lifting or even sleeping with a bad pillow? Strained neck muscles cause headaches and even nausea at times. All the pressure from lifting will make it even worse. Or, your neck could be out of adjustment and you don't even know it.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Lots of great advice guys. But, has the OP considered yoga?

J/K

Very witty!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:"Dude, you post something about yoga in every weight training thread. What's up with that? Do you see yourself as the yoga savior to the weight training crowd? Give it a rest!! You want to discuss yoga, start a yoga thread. BTW, have checked out your profile pics. I wouldn't say your results so far really qualify you to be giving any "how to" advice"

That's why I'm here - to lose weight - and if I wanted to hide the fact that I was two stone overweight I would have kept my profile private. I can't apologise for loving yoga - I guess you love your weight training too. It's a shame we can't share the same arena as I don't believe I have ever slagged off weight training or anyone who chooses that discipline; each to their own.

Really? You're going to let the comments from one random MFP person affect what you post in the forums? I mean, don't misunderstand, I think your insistent yoga comments are slightly annoying too, but not even near my "Top Ten Most Annoying MFPers" list.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

Really? You're going to let the comments from one random MFP person affect what you post in the forums? I mean, don't misunderstand, I think your insistent yoga comments are slightly annoying too, but not even near my "Top Ten Most Annoying MFPers" list.

Sorry, I didn't get to read your post until just now - I've been doing Yoga!
    Seriously not dissing Weightlifting at all, it's just I got really enthusiastic about Yoga and wanted to get you folks to at least hear where I'm coming from - now I read my posts back, I realise what a P.I.T.A. I was being :blushing:
    Each to their own - keep doing what you doin'