Help with College/Uni weight loss

Options
Hi, this is my first post!

I currently weigh 71 kg (about 156 lb) looking to go down to around 60-65 kg (about 140 lb or so). I am 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) tall, with very muscular legs, so weighing less than this is really not reasonable in my opinion.

I am in my first year in grad school studying Applied Physics. After school I work as a swimming instructor three nights/week. The schedule for school is also rather demanding (I average about 60 hours or so of studying each week).

My goal is to run 10k before 2013 (I have a plan which involves running/jogging 3 times/week gradually increasing distance set up by a triathlon coach).

My questions are:

1) What is a suitable calorie limit for me to eat daily? I tried going at 1400 kcal/day. Got mad headaches, so not going to happen. I am currently at about 1500-1600 and eating back some of my exercise calories, but not all. The problem is that when things get seriously intense in a few weeks I am unsure if this will be enough to keep me going while studying (Physics leaves you physically tired, believe me). I also don't have a car, so I generally walk for at least half an hour each day getting to and from school or public transportation.

2) Can anyone suggest some simple resistance training to complement the running? I have a problem with one of my pectorals and no real equipment. Also no gym membership. So at home using my own weight or possibly an exetube or something would work. I used to do swimming, so I am no stranger to resistance training using my own body I just don't know where to start.

3) Any suggestions for what to wear while running in rain and around zero (Celsius) degree temperature? It is cold and windy in the part of Sweden where I live...

Thanks in advance!

Replies