How important is it to "Complete" the diary entries?

Options

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you don't click complete, you friends can't look at what you ate and say "cool story bro."

^^ Pretty much it right there. Haha.
    I don't close my diary out anymore because I don't mind whether or not people comment on my food.
    You can turn off the auto-posts about completed diaries if you still want to see the "If every day were like today you'd weigh X in five weeks" but don't want it on your feed every day.
  • suzieq08
    Options
    It just keeps me accountable to myself and it becomes a "habbit" no different than brushing my teeth. Information and commitment is power.:smile:
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I complete my days, I like pulling up the graph on how I'm doing for the week. But if you don't look at your reports I don't think there's much of a need. Besides the "cool, bro" thing

What graph is that?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I thought if you didn't "complete" your diary, that the system automatically did it for you at midnight (as if you had clicked "complete" then). So in other words, it doesn't change whether or not it is published to your wall, it just changes the timing. (As for whether or not it is published to your wall, that is a separate setting.)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    But, my real question is: does it really matter if I Complete my daily entry or is that just a formality?

All that button does is is post to your newsfeed that you are done entering in stuff for the day. Then others can click on the "See Diary" (if your diary isn't private that is) and check it out.

I hardly ever remember to press the button anymore. If my friends are interested in my Diary, they know how to get to it.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    All the report graphs and everything still work fine if you don't complete your diary.

Like someone else said, all it does is estimate your future weight lsos and publish your result onto your news feed. It doesnt affect reports at all.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like to hit "complete" after dinner b/c it motivates me not to eat anything for the rest of the night. Not sure why, it's just a mental thing.

Yup, this. I pre-log all my food for the day and then hit "Complete." It's my way of telling myself, "Okay, that's it, you can't have anything that isn't logged for today."
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I never complete mine. Some days I have calories left over and then fill up the end with food from the following day. Mine's more of a guideline to stay in a set limit over a certain number of days rather than have each day be exactly the calorie limit. Plus, if I did that I'd end up going under a lot of days trying to stay perfect.
  • larsjules
    larsjules Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I wrong but isnt there a place in "Settings" that you can make diary completly private. You can choose who sees you food choice...everyone, friends or private.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you don't click complete, you friends can't look at what you ate and say "cool story bro."

LOL, ^^this. The other day I was under my calorie goal and excited about it, but forgot to click 'complete'. No one but me to witness all that glory. I was like, damn it! :laugh:
    You can hit the left button and go back days to complete your food log. I do that all the time if I forget to complete a day. Also if I go away for a weekend it allows me to fill in for the days I was off. So for the day you missed here's your glory...Good Job!!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Oddball answer:

I come to MFP mostly for the forums. Been around for a while, but haven't tried using the food tracker until recently. I will give it more chance for a few more days, but I don't think I'll continue to use it after that; I have a different program on my computer that's similar, but suits my needs much better.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    thank you for the info regarding the HRM. I am also interested in what others have to say about the HRM they use and whether they like it or not.

I use the Polar FT7, wouldn't be without it, it's great x
  • gratitudeforall
    gratitudeforall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hit complete and it gives me a warning telling me I haven't eaten enough calories and so I go run and try to eat something else right at bed time, which does not work well.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I complete my days, I like pulling up the graph on how I'm doing for the week. But if you don't look at your reports I don't think there's much of a need. Besides the "cool, bro" thing

What graph is that?

On my iphone ap . If I hit weekly on the main screen it gives me a bar graph that shows if I'm netting over or under for the week. I didn't realize it works even if you don't complete the day.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I set mine to not show up in my feed because I kept accidentally hitting it before I was done logging and then people would make comments and I had to be all "sorry! I promise, I am not completing my entry with only 400 calories today!"

Anyways, I always skim those posts and I don't really care to look at other people's food diarys. I know what I like to eat and how much I should be eating.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I log everything in, workout's and all but I never hit "complete".
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like to hit "complete" after dinner b/c it motivates me not to eat anything for the rest of the night. Not sure why, it's just a mental thing.

This for me too. My diary is closed for the night and therefore so is the kitchen!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thank you for the info regarding the HRM. I am also interested in what others have to say about the HRM they use and whether they like it or not.

I use the Polar FT4 - the version that came out before the FT7 - and I absolutely love it! :) You can read my review here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740233-polar-ft4-heart-rate-monitor-a-review

I also use the Polar FT-4...I love it! I use it everytime I workout. It keeps me honest as to hard I am working out. I challenge myself with information from the HRM. It has got the scale moving in the right direction for me. :happy:
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    haha! I just blew off yesterday....was an off day anyways so I dont care. I maintained weight, as I am ok this morning. since all of the judgments and measurements are based off of your weigh-in amount, it could care less. The diet collections are not compounded.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like completing the log each day because I feel like it's holding me accountable, but in a really positive way. It helps me to see trends in my eating/exercise so that I can make other healthy changes.