Calculate your "correct" calorie defecit

Options
2»

Replies

• CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't think this calculation works well for larger people. It says I need to eat 3,150 calories a day to maintain my current weight. I would be packing on pounds like mad if I ate that much.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This will produce .5-1lb not 1-2 as per week if that is all you want go for it and eat more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think this calculation works well for larger people. It says I need to eat 3,150 calories a day to maintain my current weight. I would be packing on pounds like mad if I ate that much.

Not necessarily. I was eating 4000 calories to gain weight. You weren't tracking your food as you got heavy, now were you? I tracked a typical day (not a binge day, mind you, just a normal day) when I first started and was shocked at the calories.
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tried the formula to see what number it would spit out. I think it's important to remember that these are probably based on averages. I've had a full metabolic workup by a medical professional and what they came up with is actually 300 less than the number the formula on the website produced. I happen to have a slow metabolism and that is something that online formulas probably don't take into account. Unless you're smack in the middle of average I think most everything you find online is not necessarily applicable to most people. It really depends on your endocrine system.

If you haven't had a full metabolic workup it's probably good to just experiment with different caloric intakes and see what works for you, as an individual.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my mpf calorie set goal is about right compared to this article.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    oh errrr, my bad my calculations were wrong, I was trying to do it on my iphone whilst also reading the thread, not possible obviously lol. The correct calculations were actually pretty spot on for what i'm eating now. All good ;-)
  • tressatnt
    Options
    Interesting. I did the calculations and it's about right to what I've been doing (which is NOT what MFP set me up at) and I have finally lost 3 pounds after making the change, which was to increase my calories. This has me at a maintenance of about 2000 calories so if I take 500 off, that puts me at 1500 which is what I've been doing plus eating back some of my exercise calories. I have less than 25lbs to lose though so I probably should only be taking 250 off each day.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    According to this I should be at about 1700 calories a day to lose a pound a week (which I don't usually lose a pound a week). Instead I have MFP set for 1400 and then add in exercise calories, but I've always known 1700 a day is OK, so I don't fret if I go upt hat high even if MFP puts me in the red. The thing is, over the last three months I've sucessfully managed to shrink my appetite back down to what it was almost 10 years ago (when I was skinny), so without eating total junk (which I still do more than I should), 1400 calories is hard for me to hit. On days when I am truly eating healthy and not giving myself sweet or junk treats, I'm full all day by 1000 calories. Sometimes I will MAKE myself down a protein shake anyway since I'm always low on protein, but if I'm eating my correct portions of fruits and veggies and drinking my correct amount of water in a day, 1400 is way more than I can eat.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    um i just worked mine out using this and it seems very low, it tells me for my body to maintain i should eat 1677.69 and to loose subtract 500 which means id only be eating 1177.69 per day, i cant survive on that. but if this is correct i need to lower my cals as ive been equally around 1400 - 1600 a day........

Did you multiple that by 1.4 or 1.5? It doesn't seem like you did. Maybe you did the first part of the equation but not the second. You probably calculated only your BMR.