30 min at gym vs 30 min of walking

Options
For the last week and a half I have gone to the gym, and have done 30 min of cardio on the elliptical each time. (I hadn't worked out in a couple years prior to this)

Yesterday, I went for a half hour walk instead of going to the gym. I didn't feel like that was enough exercise though.

My question is, on days that I don't go to the gym, is a 30 min walk enough to be considered exercise? Should I do a 60 min walk instead?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is more challenging than simple walking and will burn more calories.

Walking is more relaxing and generally won't work you into a sweat where you feel the need to shower. It can also be done anywhere.

Honestly, I prefer a nice walk with some headphones and music, just something light to clear my mind. It burns some calories while relaxing me. I know some people feel relaxed and clear minded when they engage in intense cardiovascular exercises... but that ain't me lol.

If you want simple, raw, pure numbers, you need to walk more to burn the same as an elliptical.
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how fast you do either. For me a burn more calories on the elliptical than I do walking at 3mph, it's not a huge difference. And personally I prefer walking. So I'm willing to sacrifice a few calories burned for a workout I enjoy more. I'd say try and gauge for far/ fast you walk and estimate the calories burned and compare to you elliptical workout.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do 60 without fail.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You could lift weights for 30 (or 60, since you are considering walking that long, no reason you can't lift that long) minutes and burn calories for several hours afterwards while burning fat and making better progress toward your goal and still walk when you don't go to the gym.
  • crackdmirror
    crackdmirror Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is all about the heart rate. If your heart rate walking is as high as when on the elliptical, yes, you are burning roughly the same amount. Chances are, it's not. :) I recommend getting a heart rate monitor (with chest strap) to effectively keep track of the calories you burn. The monitors on gym equipment are highly unreliable!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Typically using the elliptical as it's designed and pushing/pulling with your arms your burning more calories than walking or even running because your using more muscles.

I don't understand the people on the elliptical s not using their arms to push/pull and holding themselves up on the handrails. What's the point of that?

Go to the gym when you can, walk when you can't. If you want to get more out of the time spent walking try working up to running instead of walking.

The important thing is to keep moving.