Does wii really work?

Options
Have any of you had wii actually help with weight loss? I have heard so many conflicting info online. Im just tryna see if any of you have personal experience. I am still healing from a torn ligament in my knee from couple months ago. I can't do stairs or long walks or dance. But, i have a wii so i was wondering if it works? like wii boxing,bowling,baseball etc. Is there any games you use for burning calories?? I have 200lbs to lose so theres alot i cant do. I tore the ligament in my knee doing just dance on the wii so im cautious about what i do.

But i would love any input! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Wi, but I do have an x-box kinect and I promise you my fitness evolved 2012 is amazing.
  • purduegurl18
    Options
    I don't have a Wi, but I do have an x-box kinect and I promise you my fitness evolved 2012 is amazing.

Yes it is, I have that also and it rocks.

For the Wii, the sports games don't really do much for you unless you go all out really into it. Boxing is about the only one I recall giving me what I would remotely consider a workout (I'm in your same boat weight wise). Maybe Tennis, but the other games aren't that fast paced so they don't really get your heartrate up. Do they have a yoga game for Wii now? I got rid of mine for the Xbox, so I'm not sure.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have had success with EA Sports Active. I bought a riser for my balance board too, so it's about 6 inches higher for step (of course not good for you right now).

Plus, I find it really keeps my attention and can really get me sweating.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Are you moving around? Are you breaking the occasional sweat? Are you using a range of motions?

Then yes, it will work. =) Really, sometimes weight-loss begins with simple things like a half an hour walk every day (and calorie deficit) so having the workout with the Wii is really just an entertaining way to add exercise into your routine!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    yeah, as long as you have your Wii plugged in, it should work.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets you moving and get your heart rate up helps with weight loss. Yes the wii does that. Yes the wii helps. However it is not particularly effective. It's a fun activity that will get you moving, but if you're looking to make a dramatic impact then it's not really going to do it for you.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I need to start back on mine. I have the 2011 version. Is 2012 better?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I have a wii and a kinect and both really get you movie. Just Dance for wii is awesome.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Anything that burns calories helps with weight loss. Any movement burns calories.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I gave up on Wii Fit when it told me to take a break after I had jogged on the spot for about 20 seconds. A machine made by a manufacturer so afraid of litigation from overweight gamers keeling over and having heart attacks, is never going to push you hard enough to get fit, in my opinion.

Can't comment on other devices.
  • HerPanda
    Options
    I do Wii Fit Plus. Depending on what you do in the game, you will lose weight. I joined this site almost a week before doing calorie logs so it says 4 pounds lost, but in reality, I've lost 10 pounds this month so far.
  • mommie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I have a wii and a kinect and both really get you movie. Just Dance for wii is awesome.

I love Just Dance unfortunetly thats how i tore the ligament in my knee. doing a beach boy song i twisted wrong and there was a loud "pop pop pop crack" then i hit the floor and couldn't get up. Was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks as any slight movement would radiate pain so crutches were a no go.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Have any of you had wii actually help with weight loss? I have heard so many conflicting info online. Im just tryna see if any of you have personal experience. I am still healing from a torn ligament in my knee from couple months ago. I can't do stairs or long walks or dance. But, i have a wii so i was wondering if it works? like wii boxing,bowling,baseball etc. Is there any games you use for burning calories?? I have 200lbs to lose so theres alot i cant do. I tore the ligament in my knee doing just dance on the wii so im cautious about what i do.

But i would love any input! Thanks in advance!

I know people won't agree with this but it worked for me: Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit that is correct, healthy, and sustainable for you. Some people can handle a deep calorie deficit and some can't. Even a slight calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux and each person is different.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    The EA Sports Active workout is really great. I also sweat and burn a lot of calories with Just Dance on the Wii. Cardio boxing is a good workout and My Fitness Coach can be good too.
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My answer isn't really related to the wii, but...

I remember reading a post awhile back about a woman who had trouble walking a lot. She had a walker, oxygen tanks hooked up, and she had had surgery done - I can't remember if it was something related to her weight issues. Anyway, she was determined to walk every day, and she did. For awhile, it was just down her street a couple of houses and back, as that was all she could manage. Eventually she gained more strength to walk farther each time. In her success story, the final picture was after she had lost 100+ pounds, and she was hiking. I was very inspired by her story, and I regret that I can't find it or even remember who posted it.

I learned that a little movement each day goes a long way. I still have more than 100 pounds to lose myself, but I am already at the point where stairs aren't a challenge, even if I'm in a hurry. I bet if you can find 5 or 10 minutes each day to get up and concentrate on walking, and gradually do more and more, you can dominate on that wii of yours :wink:
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had this same question so I am so glad that you asked! I was wondering if anyone uses the Zumba series for Wii? I think that just dance, cardio boxing and Zumba sound very intriguing! I like to have things on hand to switch things up and not get stuck in a rut. I am also starting to hit the weights again (slowly) and I am using my treadmill but I like to train my muscles in different ways so I think this sounds like a good way to do that and increase my heart rate.

So, I wonder if there is much of a difference between "just dance" and "Zumba" any one know? Thanks in advance!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that I owe my success primarily to EA Sports Active 2.0. I used the PlayStation 3 version, but you can get it for Wii or Xbox 360.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I need to start back on mine. I have the 2011 version. Is 2012 better?

2012 is really good. I didn't have 2011 but read the reviews on both. I enjoy everything about 2012. I didn't track my weight but once I finished my plan. I reached my goal :)
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that I owe my success primarily to EA Sports Active 2.0. I used the PlayStation 3 version, but you can get it for Wii or Xbox 360.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

I have the Nintendo Wii version. In 1.5 years I have dropped 48 lbs and 8 inches around the waist. Not to darn bad I am thinkin'... WooHoo... It feels really good too:drinker: . I make it interesting by adding more weights each time I begin the 9 week challenge (or the 3 week kickstart also). Just keeps gettin' better each time. So... Yes it does work. It takes A LOT of dedication and motivation but it does work. :heart: :happy:

So here's to quick and speedy recovery for you so you can get to it...:smile:

Feel free to send me a friend request and we can motivate each other. WE'VE GOT THIS

Peace...
    JAC
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your diet will play a far bigger role in weight loss than exercise will. It's great to get moving but you will never out exercise a bad diet. The best thing you can do for your knees is to get some weight off of them. With 200 lbs to lose you shouldn't have a hard time getting quite a bit off fairly quickly with a good diet plan and then any exercise will become much easier.