Vegetarian nutrition and recipes

Options
I am a vegetarian and am always looking for great recipes and nutrition tips, especially when it comes to protien.

Replies

• rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that nuts and legumes (beans?) are higher in protein. Also what about soy? I think it is high in protein and provides the good fats.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Check out this post for Vegan tuna salad. I made it today, it was very yummy!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75452-best-not-tuna-salad-i-ve-ever-had-vegan
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to meals is Baked Pasta w/ Roasted Veggies:

Assorted Veggies - green peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, carrots, etc
    3 tsp olive oil
    4-5 cloves garlic
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    8 oz Whole Wheat Pasta (can be any type)
    1 cup reduced fat italian blend cheese

Combine the veggies w/ 2 tsp olive oil and roast at 450 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally

Toss the garlic (with the skins still on) with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil - roast those with the tomatoes in a separate pan also for 20 minutes

Cook pasta while veggies are roasting

Once tomatoes/garlic are done remove the garlic from their peels and put in a bowl with tomatoes - add a ladle or two full of pasta water and smash the tomatoes and garlic to create a sauce.

Combine pasta, veggies and sauce in a casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake at 350 until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Check out this post for Vegan tuna salad. I made it today, it was very yummy!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75452-best-not-tuna-salad-i-ve-ever-had-vegan

And yeah, this stuff is AWESOME!!! I made it this weekend and just finished it up today - time for a new batch!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    sparkrecipes.com has some great recipes. I use the iPhone app mostly, and at least on there you can search by dietary needs, and vegetarian is one of them. I'd imagine the website would have the same feature.