Possibly very strange question here.

Options
When I was a little kid, my Grandma wouldn't let me have anything to drink until I finished my dinner because she wanted me to fill up on food, not milk or water, or use the water to 'wash down' the food (no matter how much I didn't like it!). I have also heard from dieters that alternating bites of food with sips of water is a good way to fill up faster so you eat less.

However, one of my friends, who has had bariatric surgery, was told (by her doctor) you should never drink with your meals, as this 'washes them through your system' and you are hungry again faster, and you eat more. So she like... yells at me when I drink water with my meals.

So um. Which is right? Do you drink with meals to feel full faster? Or does water with meals wash everything through your system faster and make you hungrier overall?

I just spent an hour or so nibbling away at my protein/super high fiber bar and drinking a whole bottle of water with it, and I feel stuffed to the gills, so I'm currently sitting in the first camp. But this could be because of the fiber absorbing the water and just kind of sitting there too.

Replies

• Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bariatric people can only eat 4-8 ounces per meal. That is why they are told to only eat and not drink till 30 minutes after. They want that food to stay in there "new stomach or pouch" as long as possible to give them a longet full feeling. I say drink while you eat unless you have had surgery.
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I like to drink a bottle of water befor I eat it makes me fill fuller as well,I have been told that drinking water flushed the enzymes your body needs to process the food being eaten
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ah, so is this a case of applying a bariatric specific problem to the general population? That would make sense.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ah, so is this a case of applying a bariatric specific problem to the general population? That would make sense.

I think so :wink:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

yep.

you're fine. typically when I'm eating less and trying to cut weight, I make it a point to drink a glass of water before I eat, so I feel a bit more satisfied.