What change did you make that helped you most?

Options

Replies

• MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Making my own meals. I used to get food on the go a LOT.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting..... and lifting HEAVY !!
  • joycehostetler
    Options
    My big thing was cutting out soda. The only time I drink it now is if we go out to eat and sometimes not even then. Even though I drank diet soda, I feel so much better then when I did. I drink a lot of water with Crystal Light. I also measure and weigh everything when I can. And when we go out I eat just half of what I order or until I am full.
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but I hated exercising MFP friends made me love it and cutting back on cals. I hate to know how many I was eating before I started.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I completely dropped drink soda/fizzy drinks. I barely touch them now. I've also started cooking a lot which has helped a lot too. :)
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My mind set. I stopped telling myself I couldn't do it or that it was to hard and got a positive attitude.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the biggest change was deciding to just DO IT. And not give up. Ever. NO matter what.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Changing my goal from lowering # of pounds to lowering % body fat. Along with that, I have tweaked my diet some and started exercising regularly. I'm no longer a slave to the scale with my every mood tied to it (and the sabotage that comes with that).
    This may benefit me because I have learned the scale is not as accurate to success as one might want. How do you measure your % body fat?
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I stopped thinking of working out as an option. I stopped asking "do I really want to go to the gym/park today?" to "how long will I stay at the gym/park today?"
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is a journey of knowledge. Learning what works for losing weight. I want to know what change you made that has made the biggest impact on your success of losing weight and getting healthy. For me I haven't figured it out. I'm still crunching numbers. I have ED so in the past restricting food was the only way I knew how. I have been eating which is good but I can't seem to get it right. I have been fluctuating 5 lbs for over a year. I have my macros set and I eat at a deficit. I'm sure my issue is accurately logging my cals. I'm just wondering what has worked for you.

Thank you in advance for any advice or information.

For me it was just eating the right amount for a small person, which is hard because serving sizes are designed for 6 ft males. It was all about looking at calories for me. A calorie deficit to lose weight. Patience because the process is slow. Patience for the fluctuations in the body that have to do with retaining or releasing water. A new awareness about calories since I've always eaten healthy foods. And now in maintenance for me it's keeping the awareness that I need less calories than bigger people.

And that you can't out exercise too many calories. Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I stopped making excuses.
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Portion control, cutting back on foods that are high in calories, and finding foods I really like that are low in calories.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Drinking nothing but water (10-15 cups a day for me), except for my morning coffee
    Weighing and measuring EVERYTHING I ate!!!
    Running - I found that I love it. Finding an exercise you love will motivate you to do it more
    lots and lots of protein and fiber
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Actually being completely honest with myself by logging EVERYTHING that went in my mouth. And exercise. I lost about 35 pounds with just eating better and then the loss stopped. Couldn't get anywhere. Once I got off my rear and started exercising it fell off. Running did it for me. And I fell in love with the running.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Stalled for so many months that I lost count. Switched to Keto and it's been a beautiful journey every step of the way again! Good luck Private!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Making my own meals. I used to get food on the go a LOT.

^^this

I now cook all of my food on the weekend. I have no reason to stop and grab junk to eat when I have plenty of food at home.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    drinking lots of water. paying attention to what i eat..but most of all i think about how many calories i will add to my day and how i will ruin my weight loss if i eat that ______ (cookies, chips, pizza, etc)
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    i stopped eating processed food (which i eat for 90% before).
    everything that is made to heat it up in the microwave, or that says " add 1 cup of hot water and wait for 5min". that was the hardest part for me, but now (4years later) i hardly have this kind of food, but i do have mcdonalds or kfc from time to time :D
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Moving more! I used to have days and days where I would barely leave the house, my biggest exercise would be going to the local shop for more chocolate so I don't think that counts! Now I'm always moving! Between fitness classes, cycling to Uni, going to the gym, rowing and just general walking, there's never a day where i'm not getting in some form of exercise! Also, because I'm out and about more, I have less time to just sit around and mindlessly eat. I used to eat all the time, literally every waking minute and go off on mad binges, and thankfully, that hasn't happened in a long time!
  • Slack2ShortGo
    Slack2ShortGo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did two things that helped me start losing weight. I don't hardly drink pop at all anymore. If I do get the craving for a pop I get a diet and only drink half the bottle. The second thing is limiting the number of calories I eat in a day. I use MFP to track everything I eat and I make sure I never go over my daily limit. If I do go over, I make sure I do enough exercise that day to put myself back in the green.