striving for breaking even or coming in under goal??

so the website says that in order for me to lose 2lbs a week, I should aim to eat 1420 calories a day plus any calories I “earn” from exercise… so I obviously can eat the 1420, but with the activity I have been doing, which has been steadily increasing over the past week, my net calories are coming in under every day… take yesterday for example: I was supposed to have the 1420 calories, plus with boxing and walking, I burned an additional 1223 calories, so I should have eaten 2,643 calories… I ended up eating 2,064 calories, and even that was a push, because in addition to keeping track of my calories, I am working really hard on making good choices… sure, I could have gotten sour cream on my chipotle bowl, but I didn’t need it, so I didn’t get it, I could have eaten all of the chips, but chose to only eat half and save half… I guess my question is, should I be striving for break even, or to come in under goal?? Well I will leave you with that to think about while I go burn more calories at boxing, and then I have to come home and eat dinner with a calorie budget of 1337… that’s almost as much as some people eat in an entire day!!!

Replies

• TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Meh, there's probably a thousand posts about this very topic out there. Best suggestion, see how what you're doing now works for you and adjust accordingly.
  • Elo99
    Elo99 Posts: 149 Member
    Maybe try adding in some higher calorie still healthy food like nuts, avocado maybe a protein shake. :smile:
  • As long as you feel satisfied after a long/hard workout and not starving, I think that it is ok to be under on calories.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Due to the fact that many people overstate the number of calories burned while exercising and understate the number of calories consumed, I would shoot for coming in under.

Over time, the scale should tell you. If you are eating close to the total and not losing weight, then you are consuming too much and I recommend dropping 200 calories. If you are eating close to the toal and losing weight, I wouldn't change it.

If you are using a HRM to calculate your calories burned, I would try to eat back most of those calories. If you are going by what this website (or treadmill, exercise bike, etc) calculates , I would definitely not eat all of those calories back.