WeightLifting/StrengthTraining and Women!

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    These people are crazy, if you lift heavy you WILL grow a penis. And look like a linebacker.

That sounds like the stuff they teach in the D.A.R.E. program! :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Women can't look like men unless they have surgery or take steroids. We have different hormones. Women lifters look lean and healthy.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Do a little more research on the whole "women will get bulky with lifting weights" thing. I have been lifting heavy and consistently for 4 months and just as of lately I have started to see definition. I want to build quite a bit of muscle and it will take a long time, but never will I get bulky because as a female it is IMPOSSIBLE. I also recommend checking out NROLFW.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Women can't look like men unless they have surgery or take steroids. We have different hormones. Women lifters look lean and healthy.

Hit the nail on the head.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    <
    can deadlift 250lb

Total badassery :flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Please check out New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women...or any reputable book or site on weight lifting. Nerd fitness is a good one. Women DO NOT bulk up from heavy lifting, heavy lifting is what gives you that toned look. Women don't have the right hormones to bulk up. Repetitively lifting very light weights will just get you frustrated, not toned.

^^^ she's right! I lifted light for years and wondered why I wasn't anywhere...then I discovered heavy lifting and ChaLEAN Extreme and I'm sold! The proof is in my pics! I'm hardly bulky!
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing back squats and front squats with the 20kg (44lbs) bar while I get the right form, and am deadlifting 40kg (88). I am 5'2", in no way bulky, and have been losing weight to get to where I am now, but am getting stronger. I would be hard pushed to gain even a couple of pounds of muscle in the next six months -- getting "bulky" won't happen!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm using NROLFW right now and I don't think I'm getting bulky at all. Of course I have plenty of fat covering me so that might be why I look like a linebacker. I haven't grown a penis yet but I'll keep you guys posted :laugh:

I also run (ok it's really a jog) and I have a big butt but I notice it's gotten higher and rounder. Really, it's starting to look like 2 helium inflated balloons back there. Could be do to the lifting/squats/lunges or the running or a combo of both. Either way I'm happy it's looking better than it used to.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay let's be straight here. You build muscles with a bunch of fat on top of it or put more fat on top of it, yeah you'll get thick.

Toned means you want muscle definition. Muscle definition means lower bodyfat levels. When most women mean they don't want to get bulky they really mean they don't want extreme muscle definition

Muscle make you appear bigger and more "bulbous". Most female bodybuilders, even the "large" ones are actually very tiny. I wear a size 2 clothing right now myself. When I go into my off season I'll probably get to a size 6.

Good news is, it takes a long time and actual purposeful effort for women to gain muscle mass. Meaning your training protocol and nutritional plan is set specifically for that purpose. And even the ones on drugs have had to spends years working to get where they are at. Many confuse muscles filling with fluid and swelling after usage that they aren't used to with getting "bulky"

So unless you are trying to get bulky(extreme muscle definition, hypertrophy program), you won't.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Okay let's be straight here. You build muscles with a bunch of fat on top of it or put more fat on top of it, yeah you'll get thick.

Toned means you want muscle definition. Muscle definition means lower bodyfat levels. When most women mean they don't want to get bulky they really mean they don't want extreme muscle definition

Muscle make you appear bigger and more "bulbous". Most female bodybuilders, even the "large" ones are actually very tiny. I wear a size 2 clothing right now myself. When I go into my off season I'll probably get to a size 6.

Good news is, it takes a long time and actual purposeful effort for women to gain muscle mass. Meaning your training protocol and nutritional plan is set specifically for that purpose. And even the ones on drugs have had to spends years working to get where they are at. Many confuse muscles filling with fluid and swelling after usage that they aren't used to with getting "bulky"

So unless you are trying to get bulky(extreme muscle definition, hypertrophy program), you won't.

Short version:

Fat makes you bulky!

You can't turn into a professional bodybuilder overnight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^good explanation here.