PROTEIN! GAH! HELP!

Options
Hello All! I posted this topic in another portion of the forums but it didn't get very many responses. And the few it did pretty much suggested what was in my original post. O-o Posting it here because i think more people will actually look at it.

Please help me!!!! :( I don't want to drink 4 scoops of whey everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian my entire life and cannot digest meat (due to improper enzymes). I have been lifting heavy and hitting my protein goal of about 105 grams of protien for the past 6-8 months.

Here is my issue. Last week I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. From what I have seen soy interferes with the body's ability to both produce/absorb the thyroid hormone.

I am wondering if the excessive amounts of soy protein i've had to consume to hit my protien goal were detremental to my thyroid. Until I have my physician confirm/instruct me about what he thinks is best i've been trying to cut as much soy out of my diet as possible.

How on earth can I hit my protien goal of 105 grams and stay within the 1400-1500 calorie range without soy?!?! Am I destined to drink whey/casein forever? I can eat things like greek yogurt, beans, nuts, etc. but the protien content vs calorie ratio is pretty terrible.

Any suggestions on alternatives? Anyone with a similar issue?

Any advice is appreciated!
(Again, eating meat/fish is not an option as i will get extremely ill. Oh, and I do consume milk/cheese/eggs)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bump! Please! :(
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As a supplement the only thing worth using is a product by Vega called Veag Sport Performance Protein. It is a complete protein and 100% vegetarian and gluten free. Awesome stuff. They also have a product caled Vega One which can be used as a meal replacement or supplement. Again 100% vegetarian and gluten free, plus Omega-3s, probiotics, greens, and a good deal of complete protein. If you are not dairy intolerant, low fat Greek yogurt weigns at about 14 grams of protein with 100 calories. Same for low fat cottage cheese. If you can handle fish tuna (chunk light) is massive protein/low calorie.

Here is a link to Vega!
    http://shop.myvega.com/sequel-estore-us/Vega-Sport/vega_sport_performance_protein_tub_vanilla_usa

Hope this helps!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    TOFU!
    It's super low calorie and high in protein. There's lots of ways to cook it too- I just started using it and my daughter and I both like it in soups.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    As a supplement the only thing worth using is a product by Vega called Veag Sport Performance Protein. It is a complete protein and 100% vegetarian and gluten free. Awesome stuff. They also have a product caled Vega One which can be used as a meal replacement or supplement. Again 100% vegetarian and gluten free, plus Omega-3s, probiotics, greens, and a good deal of complete protein. If you are not dairy intolerant, low fat Greek yogurt weigns at about 14 grams of protein with 100 calories. Same for low fat cottage cheese. If you can handle fish tuna (chunk light) is massive protein/low calorie.

Here is a link to Vega!
    http://shop.myvega.com/sequel-estore-us/Vega-Sport/vega_sport_performance_protein_tub_vanilla_usa

Hope this helps!

Vega is a soy protein. :( Oh, i just saw another one. It just stinks, I might as well drink whey. =/ God i don't want to drink all of my protein every day.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    TOFU!
    It's super low calorie and high in protein. There's lots of ways to cook it too- I just started using it and my daughter and I both like it in soups.
    I love tofu. But it is 100% soy. :(
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you eat eggs (egg whites)?

Ah, just re-read and saw that you can... maybe egg beaters would be a good addition.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tried the Vega and did NOT like it --- gritty, grainy, blech. But - OP, you say eggs are ok? Jay Robb has an egg white protein powder that mixes well, tastes good and gives a LOT of protein. I prefer the whey myself, but I get your problem, so maybe the egg white is your way to get off the soy. Hope that helps some! I'd be at my wits end if my protein was threatened!

Edited to add: they have a tastesless version that you could add to give a bump to your greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc --- so you're not "drinking" all of your protein...
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You may wanna try this site http://vegetarianbodybuilder.com/187.html
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I dont have any thryoid problems but have always used Jay Robs Egg White protein with great success. And IMO it is much much more delicious than Whey or Soy protein.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No soy in Vega Sport Protein.

Here is what it contains:

Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein Raw and sprouted
    Organic Yellow Pea Protein
    Hemp Protein - Raw, alkaline-forming and complete
    Savi Seed
    Alfalfa Protein
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How on earth can I hit my protien goal of 105 grams and stay within the 1400-1500 calorie range without soy?!?! Am I destined to drink whey/casein forever? I can eat things like greek yogurt, beans, nuts, etc. but the protien content vs calorie ratio is pretty terrible.

Since you've thrown out soy, lean poultry, and fish the only option you have to get a low calorie protein diet is whey, Greek yogurt and something like egg whites. Not all Greek yogurts are the same. The one I use, Chobani low-fat vanilla, seems to have the best punch in calorie per protein ratio.
  • SpanishRapunzel
    SpanishRapunzel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! And try plain 0% Greek yogurt for less calories than the sweet stuff and add it in lots of stuff ( like Brown rice and tex-next black beans). My boss is Indian vegetarian and is an avid cyclist AND runner and gets probably 85-100grams of protein a day, so I'm sure it's possible. Good luck to you!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You may need to go to a health food store, not GNC, but a real health food store. There is one product that I saw and I am sorry that I cannot remember the name of it, but it does not have soy in it, no dairy, no whey and no casein. And, of course, it is safe for vegetarians and vegans. I am currently taking one that contains soy and it is not settling well with me. I will use the other one when I am done with it. I also love tofu, but it does have soy in it. It is hard to find a protein that is gluten free and soy free, unless you eat meat.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Try finding some seitan. It's made from wheat, not soy, and has 20-30g of protein per 4oz serving. It's a really common vegetarian meat substitute.

And I think that Quinoa also has a large amount of protein in comparison to other grains.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Pea protein! Hemp protein! Haven't found any that taste good, but they both have great amino acid profiles and you can hide pea protein in smoothies and hemp in oatmeal. I also mix hemp protein powder and chia seeds in yogurt - the goo from the chia masks the grit from the hemp. (Sounds appetizing, doesn't it? It's... ok, no, it's not much better than it sounds, but it is kind of interesting to eat.)

I get my hemp protein (the 15g protein kind) in 3lb bags through Amazon and my local health food store sells a pure pea protein under their store brand so it's relatively cheap, but I assume you can get it online too.

Good luck!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    TOFU!
    I love tofu. But it is 100% soy. :(

Sorry! Totally forgot you said no soy.
  • phonepest
    Options
    What about the whey/collagen blend shots (like new whey) small shot, lots of protein?
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/10-Vegan-Sources-of-Protein.html

This might help you out. Dark leafy green vegetables have a lot of protein for a small calorie intake.

Maybe you should google some vegetarian/vegan weight lifter websites for tips.

This guy is an endurance athlete on a plant based diet. Maybe you can search his site for some tips. http://www.richroll.com/
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, quinoa, black beans, lentils, cottage cheese, and eggs

Most of my protein comes from these sources.