Is my HRM giving me incorrect calorie burn?

Options
13»

Replies

• jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    ... I suspect they are subject to the same limitations as HRMs.

The main issue is the inherent variability in heart rate response and other physiologic responses to activity. There is just no way to account for it completely.

Agreed, which is why I said, "It's still an estimate of course..." :)

Some are better estimates than others, but there're a lot of variables in play. I happen to like DigiFit because they do at least introduce some personalization to the assessment.

With that said, it may be no more statistically accurate that others on a case-by-case or person-to-person basis but, in general, I've found the calorie burn estimates to be (again, for me) more conservative than with other tools. In addition, using DigiFit's estimates, I've been able to more consistently manage the end-result of estimated calorie reductions in terms of managing weight, body fat percentage, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ... I suspect they are subject to the same limitations as HRMs.

The main issue is the inherent variability in heart rate response and other physiologic responses to activity. There is just no way to account for it completely.

Agreed, which is why I said, "It's still an estimate of course..." :)

Some are better estimates than others, but there're a lot of variables in play. I happen to like DigiFit because they do at least introduce some personalization to the assessment.

With that said, it may be no more statistically accurate that others on a case-by-case or person-to-person basis but, in general, I've found the calorie burn estimates to be (again, for me) more conservative than with other tools. In addition, using DigiFit's estimates, I've been able to more consistently manage the end-result of estimated calorie reductions in terms of managing weight, body fat percentage, etc.

I also like the fact the HR zones are more personalized that way. So not even about calorie burn but potentially smarter workouts if you read up on different methods and uses of HR zones.