treadmill desk

Options
I walk six miles 3x a week and take my son to the park just about everyday for about two hours. (I don’t just sit on the bench.) But this is not enough exercise, and I know it. My problem is my job. I work for eight hours, come home and take care of my family, then go back to work for four more hours. My weekends are filled with work and as much family time as I can fit in. There is no chance of getting up before work and doing it because I already do not get enough rest.

I am thinking of getting a treadmill and building a desk over it. I know you can buy the kits that are already done, but a friend of mine did this and saved a ton of money.

My questions are…have you done it? How did it go?

Is there a treadmill that is better for people with rupture discs in their spine? Mine don’t bother me (even at 300+ pounds…though I am 269 now), but I don’t want them to.

I have to do a treadmill with a desk because I have to work while I walk. I cannot not work every single night of the week. I can’t use an elliptical because I don’t think I can grade papers and use my laptop while working out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My CFO does it. He walks all day long.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I walk six miles 3x a week

Why can't you run or jog instead of walk? Then you wouldn't need a desk treadmill dohicky mabob.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I walk six miles 3x a week

Why can't you run or jog instead of walk? Then you wouldn't need a desk treadmill dohicky mabob.

Or try the C25K
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I want one.... sitting all day makes me crazy!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I cannot not work every single night of the week.

Exercising will take up ALL evening?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I walk six miles 3x a week and take my son to the park just about everyday for about two hours. (I don’t just sit on the bench.) But this is not enough exercise, and I know it. My problem is my job. I work for eight hours, come home and take care of my family, then go back to work for four more hours. My weekends are filled with work and as much family time as I can fit in. There is no chance of getting up before work and doing it because I already do not get enough rest.

I am thinking of getting a treadmill and building a desk over it. I know you can buy the kits that are already done, but a friend of mine did this and saved a ton of money.

Is there a treadmill that is better for people with rupture discs in their spine? Mine don’t bother me (even at 300+ pounds…though I am 269 now), but I don’t want them to.

I have to do a treadmill with a desk because I have to work while I walk. I cannot not work every single night of the week. I can’t use an elliptical because I don’t think I can grade papers and use my laptop while working out.

6 miles 3X's a week sounds very adequate in my opinion. As for building a treadmill work station - Personally there is no way I could concentrate enough on working and walking on the treadmill at the same time to put enough effort in either task. I would much rather put all I have into that time frame I have set aside for the 6 mile walks 3x's a week....even changing those up to a full body strength training session. Although is commendable that you're looking for more ways to fit in exercise remember that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Stick with your calorie goal and your 6 miles walks and you will lose!
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Who says what you are doing is not enough? You have a hugely busy life and have still managed to lose 63lbs!! Don't beat yourself up - you have done amazingly well and no doubt will continue to.
  • KtLizbet
    Options
    I think that's a great option smurlene. I haven't made one before as I prefer the elliptical, or outdoors to a treadmill, but I don't think it would be too hard to make at all. You'll just have to take into account the height of your hand rail on your treadmill, decide if you want to build over or under that and make a fairly simple frame. I hope it works out for you. it's a great, inventive way to get your exercise in while doing your work. Good luck building it
  • smurlene
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I can't run or jog the six miles because I get them all in at work. Running at work is impossible.

The problem is that there is no time at all for an evening workout, especially since I am a single parent during the week.

I saw that there is a laptop shelf that I could buy, but I need to be able to write on papers, too.
  • smurlene
    Options
    Thanks, Kt. I'm all about finding creative solutions.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a trekdesk! I think it is the best invention ever and absolutely love it.

My job keeps me at a computer around 6-8 hours a day, and I spend about half that time walking and typing. What I have noticed in doing so is a clarity of thinking that is actually better while walking than while sitting and I prefer to type walking as opposed to sitting (but do need to sit down at times just because it will hurt your feet a bit if you are walking the entire day). I have lost about 30 pounds since I purchased the desk to go over my treadmill. I purchased it in February. Of course a lot of the weight loss is because I started to watch what I was eating as well, but what I see as the advantage other than cognitive, is what it is doing to my butt and thights. They have always been enormous, and I do believe the walking is firming both of those areas so they are not quite so large :)

As to treadmills; just make sure you get a good one that can handle the hours of abuse and has a good deck and not too loud. You can buy a good used one, or just go into a real fitness store and try out the different treadmills. If you get one without bells and whistles it should be pretty much the same as the higher models as far as the belt, deck and construction are concerned. It just won't have memory features and heart rate monitor integration and the like (depending on the brand). I like True and Precor myself, but you need to find what is comfy for you.

Good luck with your journey. These set-ups rock!
  • smurlene
    Options
    You give me hope, Rach!!!

Can you write by hand while in it?
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Not really, kind of messy. Typing is easy

I walk at 1.8 mph now and the faster you walk the harder this becomes. If you walk at 1.2 or so it might be doable
  • smurlene
    Options
    Maybe I will just use tracking in Word. Thanks for your feedback!
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

6 miles 3X's a week sounds very adequate in my opinion. As for building a treadmill work station - Personally there is no way I could concentrate enough on working and walking on the treadmill at the same time to put enough effort in either task. I would much rather put all I have into that time frame I have set aside for the 6 mile walks 3x's a week....even changing those up to a full body strength training session. Although is commendable that you're looking for more ways to fit in exercise remember that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Stick with your calorie goal and your 6 miles walks and you will lose!
    [/quote]

^^^^^ This
  • smurlene
    Options
    As I said, the six miles are done at work, so running or weight lifting is out.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    kudos on thinking outside the box. I just finished reading Drop Dead Healthy by AJ Jacobs. It's about his quest to become as healthy as possible over the course of a year and a half. As a writer, he spent most of his days sitting at his computer. Lots of research shows that sitting is one of the worst things for your health. Even standing is better for you than sitting. So he jury-rigged a tread desk and did most of his writing while walking slowly. He logged hundreds and hundreds of miles over the course of writing the book. I've been mulling over the idea myself. Good luck!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea. You might start by figuring out a way to stand while you work. I'm a medical transcriptionist, and I stand part of the time, sit most of the time. I am increasing the amouint of time that I spend standing.

Before I get a treadmill desk, I have to buy one of those gadgets that is operated by the thumbs and takes the place of my foot pedal, then learn to use it.

A treadmill desk is better than increasing your workouts at other times. Experts say that you can't reverse the damage from sitting by increasing your exercise at other times. You have to sit less, period, ideally no more than 3 hours per day. I'm a long way from that, unfortunately. (P.S: reclining doesn't damage the same as sitting, so if you can lay down instead of sit to watch television, etc, it's better)
  • smurlene
    Options
    Thanks!! I got the idea from Jacobs'
    Book! It was great.

I have read that sitting is the worst thing for us. Great idea about practicing standing while working!