Busy days, big calorie remainders: how to fix??

Options
I know this is kind of an odd question, but.... what's good for me and high-calorie (and ideally, lower in fat)?

I'm a full-time student and work 10 hours/week for workstudy (the max I'm allowed). The way my schedule is, there are definitely days when I don't eat enough calories throughout the day and wind up with a whole bunch at the end of the night.

It is the worst on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'm at school from 9:30am to 4pm, and I don't have time to eat lunch. Literally, I have 15 minutes to get between rooms/buildings as the day goes: class, class, class, work-study, and then I go home. I do eat a nice big breakfast to the point where I'm completely stuffed before I leave the house!

I'm hungry (but not ravenous) when I get home, but I still have over 1000 calories to eat. Given my druthers, I'd probably have around 400-500 calories for dinner and be contentedly full, but I know that's not enough food and I'll wind up plateauing. I find myself eating junk food just to up the calorie numbers. I was eating below my BMR (1391) for a while and I felt awful, so I try really hard not to do that.... most days I wind up going for 1500 calories, which is easy with 3 meals/some snacks.

Clearly this isn't a good overall strategy for healthier living. I'm not sure what to do, though. Are there healthy high-calorie foods that won't leave me feeling overfull? I don't want to binge on healthy food and still feel sick. Help?

(edited to include numbers)

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, peanut butter, cheese, avocados
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like to make up my own single-serving packs of almonds to carry with me. It doesn't take many to get a big calorie bang and they're full of good things.

Also look into avocado, full-fat dairy and cheese, olive oils, etc. They may boost your fat % as well, but remember that some good fat is necessary in our diet.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    ice cream
  • sariannach
    Options
    Thanks, everyone--

I go over my fat intake every single day partly because my once-or-twice-daily coffee gets cream (mmmm!) and I eat cheese at least once a day. I try to maintain the 55% carbs/30% fat/15% protein balance that MFP recommends, but somehow the fat % is always over 30.... cheese is totally my weakness, and the reason my junior high nickname was "Cheese Girl."

I sometimes eat cereal late at night too but I don't like the sugary stuff, it's usually Crispix which is 110cal/serving. It's like eating bread: very filling very quickly.

Today for example, I had eggs and sausage at breakfast (boo, moldy bread so no toast) which got me almost halfway to daily protein, but my day is currently at 53% fat, 34% carbs, 13% protein. Clearly I need to eat more carbs/protein, but damned if I can eat another 1189 calories that's mostly carbs. I get full long before that happens! I'm hoping something exists that is high-carb with protein that will kill my calories for me. The only thing I can think of is rice with beans but even that is super filling!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    don't worry about fat. it is ok to go over. make sure you reach or go over on your protein goal. mfp setting for protein is very, very low (plenty of people do 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat). You can drink your calories too. Milk or protein shake with milk.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    To the person who said that cheese is good for you... I can't get past the trans fat content in cheese... how can it be good for you? I do eat it occasionally but I feel horrrrrible about it every single time.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, try eating more protein and fat, and less carbs. Eat calorie, good fat dense foods such a avocados and nuts, and lots of lean protein (dont rely on cheese as a protein source). Protein is far more filling than carbs. Also try eating carbs such as sweet potatos and brown rice, more filling. I know youre here to lose weight, and mfp is good for tracking food, but worrying about going over their arbitrary specified limits is silly.....eat more good, filling foods, dont worry about going over on fat (fat is NOT going to make you fat) and keep trucking :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Also, EAT LUNCH!! On those days you have less time, take something you can literally ram down if you have to whilst on the go.x
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.

I'm sure you can have a 'boost' or some other kind of meal replacement shake (Slimfast is great for weight gain). Or do overnight oats- I mix mine up the night before in a small mason jar then just take it with me to work. You can have it for a snack or for lunch. OR take meal bars with you instead. Look for calorie dense foods you can eat/drink while moving. Also don't get stuck on having to eat a big meal all at once. Just grab a few bites between classes, nuts are good for a boost but I wouldn't suggest 1000 calories worth.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A lot of 'simple carbs' if that bothers you, but a flapjack has loads of calories and a good few from more complex carbs.

Easy to carry around.

Me, I'd consider one with added protein too.
    To the person who said that cheese is good for you... I can't get past the trans fat content in cheese... how can it be good for you? I do eat it occasionally but I feel horrrrrible about it every single time.
    Because your body needs some fat and if you're overall living a healthy life style it shouldn't be a big issue?
    I generally try and avoid cheese right now because I like it too much.
    I do like Weight Watchers mature cheddar - only 10% fat, while it's 30% protein. Still pretty tasty despite being often 50% less calories than other cheese!
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    While I am not a big fan of protein bars, if you like them, pack some in your bag to eat throughout the day with a few pieces of fruit. You can munch on your way to class. I personally would feel way too stuffed if I tried to eat 1000 calories at the end of the day.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

The small amount of transfat that occurs naturally in cheese is fine. It is the transfat in processed foods that you need to stay away from.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    If it is only happening 2 days a week, I wouldn't worry about getting all the calories in that day. You can make up for it on the other days so that your weekly total comes up close. Other than that, a protein shake at night is a good way to get your protein in for the day, I blend mine with frozen strawberries and have an awesome ice-cream like treat! Love my Ninja!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i would suggest a quick turkey wrap for lunch. can eat it on the go, and they're delicious!

mine is 3-4 slices of low-sodium turkey, spinach, some onions/tomatoes, avocado if i have it, and spicy mustard with a drizzle of honey on top all in a whole wheat or spinach tortilla wrap.

or the classic, PB and J! i make mine with almond butter, ezekiel bread, and my grandmother's homemade jams (thanks grandma!) very easy to make and easy to eat while walking.

protein shakes are also a good bet, make with milk not water to up your calories/protein/fat.

good luck!
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a student and work as well. You've got to start bringing food with you that you can munch on in between on your breaks. Even if you are literally eating and walking, or eating whilst travelling, it is better than starving your body.

If you consistently starve your body, you will end up gaining more weight in the end, as any time you do finally get to eat, your body will store everything you put in it, rather than prcoess and eliminate some of it like it should do.

I would suggest, fresh fruits, raw nuts, cheese, yogurts, etc, things like this which are portable and easy to carry, but will give you at least some calories and energy throughout the day.You can also make protein shakes with soya or whey protein powder and your favourite type of milk. Put it in a portable bottle/thermos and take it with you.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    And keep almonds in a baggie with you for quick snacks thru out the day. Beef jerky is good as well, just look for brands without a lot of sugar and sodium. Almonds add up calories really quickly, but are very healthy.
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people obsess over hitting their target each and every day. How about not forcing those calories down on your busy days and use them on other days. I find it much easier if I have a weekly target and try and hit that. Nice to have a few calories in the bank for a weekend or when particularly hungry.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Buy a box of protein bars and carry one with you to eat between classes.

If not, have a shake when you get home. I like the following in my shakes:
    - protein powder ~120 cal
    - frozen fruit ~70 cal
    - yogurt ~30-100 cal
    - ground flax seed ~75 cal (1/8 cup or 2 tbsp)
    - water
    - maybe a 1/2 banana ~45 cal

The shake will be roughly 300 - 400 calories depending on what you put in it.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can carry granola bars or small packages of almonds in your pocket & snack while you're running to the next class. There's ways, you just have to work at it.