Does eating past 7pm make you gain more weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    No, eating more calories than you burn causes you to gain weight. I wouldn't get hung up on what time you eat the calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat dinner until 7pm, and my dinner's usually around 1000 calories.

Not gaining. :smile:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eating high fat, high calorie foods in excess of what you expend (calorie-wise) each day--along with zero exercise--makes a person fat. The time of day they eat is irrelevant. I eat all day long, all night long...sometimes I wake up and eat in the wee hours of the morning...and I count the calories/fat/exercise ratio every day. It works!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eating right before you sleep has been shown to disturb sleep, but eating at night in of itself will not cause weight gain if you have the calories.

Im disturbed....but its not from eating before bed.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    All of these smart *kitten* above my are right. But they kind of made it seem like you had a stupid question- which you DON'T.

No, you will not gain weight by eating at night. But in order to burn the most calories while you sleep, it is important to try not to eat 2-4 hours before you go to bed. If you eat a sandwich at 9 and then go to bed at 10, for instance, your body will work off that sandwich while you sleep. If you had eaten it at 6, it will be mostly digested and your body can work solely on burning FAT while you sleep.

So if you're eating at seven at night, I would say that you shouldn't turn in for the night until at least 10 if you want to use your sleep to your advantage :)

LOL. Calling us names and wrong all in one post. Keep up the good work.

LOL exactly what I was thinking
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    No. It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you don't go over your calories for the day. That eating at night thing is a myth.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    no. not unless you already ate all your calories anyway. the reason people lose weight by not eating after 7 is that they just end up eating less, which you are already doing by tracking.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    I don't know but does pooping after 7pm help me lose weight ;)
  • clvautour
    clvautour Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, as long as you are within your cal. limit then it should not. At lest that is what I have been told.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    No as long as it doesn't cause you to exceed your daily calorie goals repeatedly.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In my humble experience, when I eat makes as much difference as what I eat. I gained much of my weight eating the bulk of my calories at dinner time, with dinner being around 7 or 7:30, then going to bed by 9.

If you eat after 7, but you don't go to bed until 11 and you work out in between, it's likely not a problem. If you eat a carb rich meal after 7 and go to bed at 8 or 9 with no exercise in between, it's likely to cause those calories to be stored.

Everyone's bodies and habits are different, though, so try to track how your behaviors affect your numbers.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have just eaten a big bowel of ice cream at 22:30, no difference to eating it a 10:30

You ate a WHAT?!?!?!?!

lol
    And just yesterday, someone was complaining about sausage casing, I'm guessing a big bowel of ice cream would be out of the question
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In my humble experience, when I eat makes as much difference as what I eat. I gained much of my weight eating the bulk of my calories at dinner time, with dinner being around 7 or 7:30, then going to bed by 9.

If you eat after 7, but you don't go to bed until 11 and you work out in between, it's likely not a problem. If you eat a carb rich meal after 7 and go to bed at 8 or 9 with no exercise in between, it's likely to cause those calories to be stored.

Everyone's bodies and habits are different, though, so try to track how your behaviors affect your numbers.

I know that you sincerely believe this and I'm not trying to be critical. It just doesn't work this way. Your metabolism is chugging along in the background every minute you are alive. Let's say you eat 600 calories at 8 and go to bed at 9. (you might have indigestion but that is a whole other issue) Some of the calories you just took in are getting used and the rest are being stored. You don't eat again for 10 hours. You are essentially fasting for 10 hours. Assuming you are in maintenance or deficit, your body pulls those calories back out of storage to fuel your metabolic processed during this time. This same cycle happens all day, every time we eat and then don't until the next meal.

If not eating after 7 works for you and you are confident in it, that is great and continue by all means. But calories eaten late are not more likely to be stored assuming you are in a deficit or at maintenance.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Hmm.