How does one learn to be OK with being hungry?

Options

Replies

• adriana_bg
    adriana_bg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    More calories from protein is working for me to keep my hunger away..
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You don't learn to deal with being hungry. You learn to eat smaller meals, indulge in foods high in fiber, drink plenty of water (not fluids because caffeine and sugar have effects on you) eat more often, and to make healthy choices.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Try to work out the first thing in the morning. I noticed when I work out early in the morning, I would make better choices for the rest of the day. I feel so good after the tough workouts that i want to eat better and not ruin what I worked so hard for. Of course, I am hungry throughout the day but I'd rather eat better knowing I worked hard to burn those pesky calories. Hope this helps you out some. Good Luck!!
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm ever really hungry - I eat when I'm hungry. if you are just starting out - your body learns that it doesn't need as much food - and you are not hungry like you used to be. thats how it is for me anyways. I think it was the pop everyday that was making me so hungry. I also make sure I eat right when I wake up. and don't wait until you are starving to eat - then you over eat.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. But what no one has ever explained to me is how to go about your day while being hungry. I know people say you have to drink water or snack on veggies. And I'm sorry, but those things do not take care of the hunger pains. So to lose weight we have to take it as given that we're going to feel hungry all the time and I just don't know how to deal with that. Suggestions?

I'm losing weight I don't feel hungry
    most days I have 700 + calories left, on days when I don't go to the gym I might go over by 100 calories but a 30 min walk will cover it.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    eating every few hours did the trick for me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I take my frustrations out on other people.

Kids are a good target, they rarely fight back.

Best response. Ever.

No it isn't - I find it offensive.
    someone remind me not to tell this woman any jokes
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Remember --- the more you burn thru exercise, the more you can eat. Hungry then exercise more and eat back some of the calories burnt .
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry you are doing it wrong. Hungry, low energy, irritable.......your body is telling you something, time to reasses.

Agreed. I am finding in just three days that I am full faster yet not taking in nearly the calories that MFP recommends. Even the little bit of movement I get is making a difference in that I think.

Also, perhaps the OP could try one dried fruits. I find a half cup fills me up fast with fewer blood sugar problems.
  • mariarose88
    Options
    I know a lot of people subscribe to this idea that "if you're hungry, you're not doing it right," as if being hungry was somehow an indication that you're developing an eating disorder. I believe that if you're going from eating in a completely unhealthy way, giving your body whatever it wants whenever it wants it, there is going to be a transition period where your body and mind has to adjust to eating a healthy amount of calories.

This means that there will be times when your mind will be telling you that you're "hungry." As you eat in a healthy way (1200 net cals at the absolute minimum) more regularly and make that your new normal, your body and mind will finally sync up and you'll begin to feel hungry only when you actually need food instead of when you're bored, stressed, etc. So much of what makes us feel "hungry" has to do with psychological factors like our emotional state and our established eating schedule.

Unfortunately, there will be a transition period where you will be fighting "hunger" pains that have nothing to do with what your body needs. Some people approach this by eating micro-meals (5-6 200-400 calorie meals per day). For a while, though, eating carrots is just not going to feel as satisfying as a cheeseburger. Once that transition period is over and your body has recalibrated itself to a more healthy way of registering hunger, you'll stop feeling hungry all the time and start to feel really good. You'll have a ton of energy and less food will satisfy you than you needed before.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well am never hungry anymore, In fact, now that I work out I eat more than I used to. I just
    choose more wisely on what I eat. If you eat a lot of veggies and whole grains, drink lot of water
    you won't be hungry because this foods take longer to digest so keep you full for a longer time.

No one said losing weight means starving yourself *_* Veggies like broccoli are very full-filling and
    very low on calories, carrots are awesome too... Apples are great for when you feel like you are not full
    yet because it takes time to chew and your body is a little slow to send messages to your head that you've had
    enough.. At least you won't regret eating an extra serving of fruit or vegetable ...

Ps. I eat every 4hrs or so, 3 meals and 2 snacks.. (snack being maybe a cup of soymilk and an apple or you can opt for
    raspberries and greek yogurt ... Those things fill you up and are good for you..)

if you choose foods high in saturated fat or bad carbs you will get hungrier and hungrier and never be satisfied
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't want to read this whole thread, but if you feel hungry all the time, you are either eating too few calories, eating the wrong foods, or both. Fiber, protein, and healthy fats help a lot. You may want to check out "satiety" and which foods are associated with it. .25 cup of nuts will do wonders on filling you up.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I take my frustrations out on other people.

Kids are a good target, they rarely fight back.

Best response. Ever.

No it isn't - I find it offensive.
    someone remind me not to tell this woman any jokes

right and besides every one knows you start with the wife
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are confusing something else with being hungry. Are you actually thirsty, lonely or tired or stressed?

It's a weird thing to suggest, but maybe try not eating for 24 hours, see what hungry really feels like. And recognise that it is not an emergency.
  • HisangelG
    Options
    I don't think you guys are getting it. It's not just when I'm dieting (although it is much worse then). I am always hungry. For example,I could eat two double-cheeseburgers with fries and still be hungry. The only reason I stop eating is because I think I'm supposed to. I'm always hungry. I mean ALWAYS. Have any of you ever actually been obese?

First. Snarky does not help.

I have 200 pounds to lose. I would say I know what obese is.

Second. Have you talked to your doctor? It may be a physical problem such as your thyroid, diabetes, as has been mentioned by others, hypoglycemia, or any number of things. Once your Doctor rules out any serious health problems, you can then have him/her help you find the right eating habits for you.

For myself, I need more carbs, less protein to lose weight. Others need just the opposite. We are all different with different needs.

Third, two double cheeseburgers with fries and a soda is too much. If your body is use to this and more, than it feels like it is starving with less food. I was bulimic/anorexic for a long while during my teens. I lost over 100 pounds in under 3months by starving myself, purging, and WAY TOO MUCH exercise. My body now resists losing weight as a result. You will have to teach your body to accept fewer calories, fewer empty calories, and more movement (exercise) . It takes time.

Be gentle with yourself, and with others. We are all trying to lose weight, get healthy, and it takes time.

Has it been this way your entire life or only since trying to lose weight?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to be hungry? I'm losing just fine and have plenty to eat. If I am hungry, I eat. Mind...hungry is not the same as boredom eating or emotional munchies.
  • lesliethescrivener
    Options
    If you're hungry all the time, you're not picking the right foods. I was only hungry on this for a couple of days until I figured out how to make more filling choices for the same calorie amount.

ditto!
  • HisangelG
    Options
    Maybe you are confusing something else with being hungry. Are you actually thirsty, lonely or tired or stressed?

It's a weird thing to suggest, but maybe try not eating for 24 hours, see what hungry really feels like. And recognise that it is not an emergency.

Bad idea without knowing her health issues. If she is undiagnosed diabetic or hypoglycemic, this can mean coma or worse.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do 200-300 calorie meals/snacks every 2-3 hours. Drink water in between and stay busy. Usually if your mind and body are busy, you don't notice as much. If I do notice it's usually pretty close to time to eat again. Can't feel too hungry if you are always eating lol
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people subscribe to this idea that "if you're hungry, you're not doing it right," as if being hungry was somehow an indication that you're developing an eating disorder. I believe that if you're going from eating in a completely unhealthy way, giving your body whatever it wants whenever it wants it, there is going to be a transition period where your body and mind has to adjust to eating a healthy amount of calories.

This means that there will be times when your mind will be telling you that you're "hungry." As you eat in a healthy way (1200 net cals at the absolute minimum) more regularly and make that your new normal, your body and mind will finally sync up and you'll begin to feel hungry only when you actually need food instead of when you're bored, stressed, etc. So much of what makes us feel "hungry" has to do with psychological factors like our emotional state and our established eating schedule.

Unfortunately, there will be a transition period where you will be fighting "hunger" pains that have nothing to do with what your body needs. Some people approach this by eating micro-meals (5-6 200-400 calorie meals per day). For a while, though, eating carrots is just not going to feel as satisfying as a cheeseburger. Once that transition period is over and your body has recalibrated itself to a more healthy way of registering hunger, you'll stop feeling hungry all the time and start to feel really good. You'll have a ton of energy and less food will satisfy you than you needed before.
    This! I started with intermittent fasting and I've gotten to know my body's reactions quite well. I am rarely hungry for real, only wanting to eat; I found that eating for me has been out of habit/boredom/comfort rather than real hunger. Basically, the hunger feeling subsides after about 15 minutes if I take a glass of water, coffee, tea and so on - kcal low/free drinks.

Dare to challenge yourself. If you don't feel satisfied with 5-6 small meals, aim for 3 larger meals within your calorie limits. And don't aim too low, too large a deficit won't necessarily give you the best results.