Looking for a good Multi-Vitamin

Options
Hey everyone,
So I just joined this week and see what happens. I will post pics shortly, just to see what I am working with. But I believe I should start taking some sort of vitamins in the morning. I am 35 and I know my blood pressure and cholestrol is not the best so that is why I joined and started working out and eating healthy.

So any suggestions on a good multi-vitamin or any other suggestions just to help my body out?

Thanks

Please feel free to add me as well, always looking for new friends.

Joe

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but I like their adult chewable multi-vitamin. It's nice to not have another horse pill to take every day (I also take a calcium pill which is HUGE), plus it tastes like berries!
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    All multi-v's are the same to an extent. The cheaper the better. One a day will do just fine. All the more expensive ones are gimmicks.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Liquid vitamins have the highest absorption rate.

I highly recommend Nature's Way Alive. $16 bucks off Amazon. I have it on subscription to ship every 30 days. The stuff has all natural ingredients and is a GREAT energy booster, amongst other things.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've used a bunch.. Trader Joe's Men's multi, Opti-Men, Prosource Vital Mens. It's your preference. One rule of thumb though. Find a good one that doesn't contain iron. Men who take excess iron can develop a condition called hemochromatosis, which can lead to multiple health issues including cancer.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You should monitor your vitamin and mineral levels for awhile here and also maybe check with a doctor to see what your actual levels are in your system before starting to take any vitamins. If you are already getting enough nutrients in what you eat, you don't really need to supplement with a full multi-vitamin's worth of stuff.

And just because they are vitamins and minerals the body needs doesn't mean you can't get too much of them. For example, too much calcium or iron can make you constipated.

When I got tested by my doctor all of my levels were well above what the standard should be without taking anything additional and the doctor recommended that I not supplement with anything at the current time.
  • jlarz20
    Options
    Good point with the Dr, I know I used to eat Vitamin-C drops like candy when I am not feeling well. I will do that next week and go from there. Thanks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    AOR Orthocore, NOW ADAM, SAN Dr Feelgood, Controlled Labs Orange Triad, Gaspari Anavite, Source Naturals Life Force Multiples for Men
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I highly recommend Nature's Way Alive. $16 bucks off Amazon. I have it on subscription to ship every 30 days. The stuff has all natural ingredients and is a GREAT energy booster, amongst other things.

I take Nature's Way Alive tablets. The directions say 3/day. I take 2/day, one in the morning, one with dinner. Been taking them for a few years. I really like them. One note, the tablets turn your urine BRIGHT yellow, like flourescent marker yellow!! Just letting you know:laugh:

Edit: I get my blood work checked every year, for my own benefit, and my levels are all good :-) (I try to eat right, but KNOW I'm not doing as well as i should, so I feel these vitamins are helping me)
  • Qns1980
    Qns1980 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I take Nature's Way Alive tablets. The directions say 3/day. I take 2/day, one in the morning, one with dinner. Been taking them for a few years. I really like them. One note, the tablets turn your urine BRIGHT yellow, like flourescent marker yellow!! Just letting you know:laugh:

lol that is so true! I have taken the tablets as well and it does look like the markers!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't get anything in tablet form!

Tablets have been put through a heating process which denatures them, similar to how over cooking vegetables cooks the nutrients out. So tablets have been denatured and lose nutrients. They are also very hard on your body to break down which is why your stomach will get upset if you take them on an empty stomach. Further, tablet multivitamins have too high of nutrients in them and you end up peeing about 90% of them out. So you only absorb 10% of a denatured and low quality nutrient vitamin.

Tablets are basically garbage.

Find a good liquid or powdered form multivitamin like Alkilinity Fuel (powdered) that you mix into water to make a vitamin drink. Or you can mix it into your protein smoothie or shake. www.nutracorenutrition.com
    Sport Formula is also a very high quality liquid and they come in convenient on the go packs (like a crystal light packet) that you can put under your tongue to absorb sublingually or pour the powdered packet into water. www.sportformula.com
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ...and I killed the thread. Whoops!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    My personal favorite is the Alive adult gummies that I got at Walmart. They don't smell very good but they taste great!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like the source naturals life force.

and for a budget the kirkland (costco) seem to be decent