10lbs = 1 size?

Options

Replies

• pugmomma1951
    pugmomma1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon the size you are to begin with. I was super-morbidly obese. 10 lbs. didn't do much to change my clothes size. Took more like 30 lbs. to go down a size. But I do believe for those people with not so much to lose, 10 lbs can make a great different in what size they wear.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    no
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It also depends on where you're starting from, no offense to other posters but if you're starting as a size 8, then losing 20 pounds might get you 2 pants sizes. If however you're starting at 12 or a 14, it might take a little more. it really depends on your body composition and size. if you can't make it to the stores maybe try online shopping and a tape measure? not being sarcastic here seriously! most stores will allow free in store or online returns! Good luck!

Totally agree, but in my case, starting at a size 32, it took about 40 pounds to get to a 28... it is all relative to the size you start at. When you're smaller, 10 pounds mean more. At my biggest, I am sure I could fluctuate 10 pounds and not notice myself! :)

Happy clothes shopping!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    LOL It took me about 30+ pounds to drop 1-2 sizes... bleh
  • KIMBERLYFOUST
    Options
    I have lost 75 pounds and have gone from a 18/20 to a size 10/12....so it is about right for me, but I really think it depends heavily on your body type and where the weight drops from!
  • zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Not for me. 40lbs ago I was a 16-18 & now I'm in a 14. I have a couple of size 12s that fit but I don't think I'll be comfortably in that size until I've lost the rest of this weight, & even then I bet I still need jeans in a 14 thanks to my big hips!

Losing weight is so different for everyone.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables, it's impossible to assign X number of pounds for a size. Even on the same person it can change; it used to take about 15+ pounds for me to go down a size, but now it takes less.

Sometimes people lose 20 pounds without going down even half a size, depending on where they lose! Feet, forearms and face are good examples where losing doesn't lead to a size reduction.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62lbs & went from a 15 to a 5/6.
  • skyan
    skyan Posts: 12
    Options
    That's about right for me too. I lost 40lbs since I started (I started at 210, and am now 170-ish) and went from a size 18 to a size 14. I just bought my first size 14 and they're a little loose. I might have to go down another size soon~
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 and gone from a tight 16 to a 12/14 (depending on the brand)
    Seems true in my case.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    10 lbs for me was the difference between tight and comfortable and I'm a pretty small person at 5'3". From my heaviest to now was 17lbs and the next size down is still a little tight for pants.
  • Apeck87
    Apeck87 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    no, i would disagree with that.. I am 5"2 weighed 182 wore a size 14 and now I am 168 and wear a size 10.. it depends on your body, and the store you shop!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Yeah, didn't think that sounded right, especially since I calculated wrong, because if this were true I would be a size 10 and I am definitely NOT a size 10. I'll be lucky to fit into a size 14.
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    there is no set fast lb/sz ratio...I was size 22 - lost 50 lbs - now 14 - so that is 4 sizes.....don't worry about the isze number - today the sizes are scattered all over the place....I just know I can shop Misses - not Womens
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wish it was 10lbs for me! I haven't changed sizes yet, but anticipate needing to lose 25lbs to move into a size 8. I have lost 15lbs and are still fine in my 10's.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've heard it, but it's not at all true for me. I'm down 23 and my clothes fit exactly the same. I think I'll have to be down at least 35-40 before I change sizes.
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I have been maintaining for a year now and switched my focus to exercise and strength training and I have gone down two sizes with no weightloss. I have heard 10 to 15 is the average for going down a size for women but I am not sure if that is true.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and where they're dropping weight. I've lost over 40 lbs and really felt like I've gone down at most 2 sizes. I still wear the same pants, just with a belt. But I was really squeezing into my clothes before I started this.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    All these different responses, goes to show you how different everyone is! A 10 pound loss for me is one size smaller in jeans, but I am 5'2 1/2" and I lift weights, too, so I could put on 10 lbs and not gain a size. It all depends on where you lose or gain the weight
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's truly possible to generalize xlbs lost = x sizes droppped across the board. I went up 3 sizes from gaining 15 pounds. I think it depends more on your height/frame, the way you carry your weight and you original body weight.