Does a banana a day keep weight loss away?

Options

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If I could eat one thing everyday for the rest of my life, it'd be bananas. I go bananas for bananas you could say.
  • babybird3
    Options
    I don't think it would make that significant of a difference, the body sometimes holds weight for a few weeks then loses a bunch at one time. My nutritionist doesn't allow me to eat bananas though, so I'll have to ask her why!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Even though bananas are higher in carbs and sugar, they're still not this awful food. Anyone that's been told to NOT eat them, do you have low BP/heart issues? It can also interact with blood thinners, I believe.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes i cut out bananas and lost all 60lbs.........NOT. I eat them all the time some times 4 a day....i eat ben and jerrys to sugar doesnt effect it nor do bananas there is no one food that causes more weight gain then another. Calories in and out is the answer eat the damn bananas
  • Sydamty
    Sydamty Posts: 28
    Options
    I was told (but the nutritionist)to stay away from bananas in the first few weeks of dieting
    to definitely eat the less ripe ones if I did
    and that one banana is actually two servings so eating half a banana is better
  • gemstone29
    Options
    I eat a banana most days....and find them quite a-peeling! :-)

hahah its soooo punny!
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    Bananas have a slow release of enery and they are a fruit that keeps you fuller for longer. Hence why athletes have them in their diets.

I dont know if the banana is responsible for ur success but if its working for U keep it up. Good source of fibre too.

Keep up th good work. Good luck
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Ive been told not to eat banana's! made sense at the time but i cant remember now what it was about.
    I was told to eat half in a day by doc dont remember why either:huh:

Bananas obviously improve memory
  • babybird3
    Options
    Even though bananas are higher in carbs and sugar, they're still not this awful food. Anyone that's been told to NOT eat them, do you have low BP/heart issues? It can also interact with blood thinners, I believe.

It might be because I'm hypoglycemic, and as bananas ripen their GI goes up.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I swapped my usual breakfast of oats and milk for a green smoothie - my only fruit intake for the day. The smoothie usually contains banana (greenish not overly ripe), spinach, flaxseed, fruit such as apple, berries or kiwi fruit and water. My weight loss has been quite slow but in the past few weeks I've lost nearly 2kg (4.5 lb). The only thing that has changed diet wise is not having a banana in the smoothie. Do you think a banana a day would make such a difference?

I only avoid bananas as higher on the glycemic scale though calories in-calories out. it shouldn't matter?!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Addressing strictly weight loss: calories in, calories out. Simple math. Doesn't matter the source of the calories.
    That said, I do believe that different foods affect the speed at which weight loss results appear. Esp. since we lose weight in chunks.
    So, I don't think bananas would actually prevent weight loss. Perhaps it could slow it down. Don't know.
    That's my two cents.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi I used to eat 4 a day sometimes more... I have lost 44 pounds doing so... but I got tired of it.... I am now obssesed with pineapples
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a pretty calorie dense fruit although they are amazing for their potassium levels. A large banana can have 200 calories.. I stick to the small "baby" bananas that kind of look like fingers, they give me plenty of potassium and are pretty filling!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I like em' rarely missed a day w/out one
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat one everyday.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty vigilant about avoiding excess sugar, but I love me the occasional banana. I think the high fruit sugar content is more than balanced out by the level of snacky yummy satisfaction I get from eating one. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas with a passion (something about that disgusting texture) but even I can't see that being your problem. I take my bananas in pill form though: potassium supps and what not.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    this is just bananas.
  • bmq1689
    bmq1689 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat one every morning and it keeps me full until lunch time. Less calories than my the usual bacon and egg bfast.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana most days....and find them quite a-peeling! :-)

For some reason this made me full on laugh out loud! haha
    I love bananas! I have one every day, I never knew there was stigma about bananas before ):