When you want to lose and your partner wants to gain???

Options

Replies

• Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Same situation! My husband's calorie intake is insane compared to mine, what we've ended up having to do is eat different meals a lot of the time. He'll cook for himself and I cook for myself; we do allow ourselves a cheat day a week though so we can eat together again (it's a cheat day for him too because he's focusing on macros for muscle building). But anyways, separate meals seems to be working even though it's a pain.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm losing and my boyfriend is trying to build muscle and get bigger. He still wants to be healthy so I just give him massive portions of my home cooked meals and he has lots of extra snacks through-out the day for example when I make chicken and veg he gets 2/3 bits of chicken and I have one, or with a casserole he has 2 thirds of it etc :-)
  • necolong1014
    Options
    I make a meal I would/am allowed to eat and then he adds fats, carbs and normally snacks afterward to it (he is a postal worker and walks 12 hours a day) I eat like a bug and he eats like the guy from "Thinner"! It works though because I shove half of my food off onto his plate so we are both happy. Well he still hates me being on a diet and spending too much time at the gym but hey tough cookie!
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one in this boat. My husband eats twice or three times more than me and always stay the same weight. I cook two separate meals. One for him and a low-cal one for me or I will have a lean cuisine at night. I try to keep sweets in the house for him that I don't like. He loves ice cream and I don't, so that is something I stock up on for him to eat at night and I don't sit there and watch him eating it wishing I could have some. It is really tough sometimes. We go out to eat once a week and I usually will try to order something not to bad, but sometimes it is hard.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i am currently losing and my bf is gaining!

a lot of it has to do with portioning - because the food i eat is healthy and just because he is trying to gain, doesnt mean he should be eating mcdonalds
    so we make twice as much of whatever we have for dinner for him as we do for me
    same with lunches - if i take 25g of almonds, he takes 50g
    and he drinks a lot of protein shakes with 2 scoops - i usually only put 1 or even .5 scoop in mine when i have them.

ALSO the Ensure/Boost energy drinks both have a high-calorie option that my man drinks when he is not getting enough calories in a certain day.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Our house hold is the same way. I make up for his extra calories by serving him an extra portion and making sure he has enough snacks to eat throughout the week. I just make trail mixes, healthy baked goods, and make sure he drinks more milk. The hardest part is staying out of the cookie jar, for me, but with a bit of extra willpower, it's possible. I have never, and will never, make separate meals.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    it is hard....or if not hard I think challenging at first. Once you find a groove it works. He NEEDS to eat more and he has to eat calorie dense foods. So he eats a lot of nut butter, avocados, muscle milks, etc. He also is able to eat bigger portions. We try to stay away from calorie dense and low nutrient foods just for health reasons...although he needs to gain weight he still has to watch his cholesterol it runs naturally high in his family.
  • katg73
    katg73 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

a lot of it has to do with portioning - because the food i eat is healthy and just because he is trying to gain, doesnt mean he should be eating mcdonalds
    and he drinks a lot of protein shakes with 2 scoops - i usually only put 1 or even .5 scoop in mine when i have them.

ALSO the Ensure/Boost energy drinks both have a high-calorie option that my man drinks when he is not getting enough calories in a certain day.

I'm def going to have to check out those Ensure/Boost drinks! Do they all have the purpose of energy though? Coz I don't think he needs any more energy than he already has - he walks at an unusually fast rate lol.
  • katg73
    Options
    it is hard....or if not hard I think challenging at first. Once you find a groove it works. He NEEDS to eat more and he has to eat calorie dense foods. So he eats a lot of nut butter, avocados, muscle milks, etc. He also is able to eat bigger portions. We try to stay away from calorie dense and low nutrient foods just for health reasons...although he needs to gain weight he still has to watch his cholesterol it runs naturally high in his family.

I like the muscle milk idea - I have heard that muscle milk is for skinny people. What flavors have you guys found to be tasty for him? I'll need to look into those too.
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    we make our own breakfast and lunches, he tells me what to buy at the supermarket
    dinner we eat the same, he just has bigger portions of meat, and i add rice, potato etc to his meal
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    and if hes still hungry, he knows where the pantry/fridge is
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Usually we eat the same dinner and we get whatever portion size we want. I buy him lots of muscle milk, protein bars, snacks or whatever, and always make left over for dinner for him to eat the next day for lunch. I usually eat a SmartOnes or salad or something for lunch. I usually just try to stay away from his snacks. The hardest is choosing a place to eat when we go out, but we can usually compromise :)
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like the muscle milk idea - I have heard that muscle milk is for skinny people. What flavors have you guys found to be tasty for him? I'll need to look into those too.

They sell a big pack at Costco (much cheaper than buying at the grocery store). They usually have the chocolate, but last time they had the vanilla.
  • samarlove
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. My husband can eat practically anything he desires, mcdonalds, burger king, fried foods you name it and he can eat it and most likely step on the scale the next day gaining NOTHING or even losing a pound. Isn't that great genes or what? Usually what I do as everyone else says is give him bigger portions or I'll change it up a bit. For example, if I am making home made pizza, I'll do everything the same but put different cheeses on his opposed to my pizza. Same with tacos he'll have the normal sour cream while I have the fat free one.

Usually its just easier with the portion sizes. Also, I have found crockpots to be a god send!!! I can make dishes that we both enjoy and it will cook while I am away. Also, there is always enough extra for leftovers, he eats as much as he wants while I watch my portions.

Hope that helps!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I'm def going to have to check out those Ensure/Boost drinks! Do they all have the purpose of energy though? Coz I don't think he needs any more energy than he already has - he walks at an unusually fast rate lol.
    haha nope the ensures and boosts are not energy drinks. they are meant to be meal replacements - so they are rich in vitamins and minerals! my boy takes one of those every day with his lunch to add an extra 350 cals to his day OR he puts them in his protein shakes to boost up the calories that way =)
  • katg73
    Options

haha nope the ensures and boosts are not energy drinks. they are meant to be meal replacements - so they are rich in vitamins and minerals! my boy takes one of those every day with his lunch to add an extra 350 cals to his day OR he puts them in his protein shakes to boost up the calories that way =)

Wow, that's a really good idea! Thanks for the reply!
  • katg73
    Options

They sell a big pack at Costco (much cheaper than buying at the grocery store). They usually have the chocolate, but last time they had the vanilla.

That's great information. Thanks for the recommendation, always looking to save money as much as I can!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Cook and eat your boyfriend. You will inherit his genetic miracle and solve both problems.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cook different meals because I don't really like red meat much, but mostly it is a case of I have small portions and he has large ones. Sometimes I will cook different sides for everyone, or at least extra sides for him.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at certain times - my bf is a serious triathlete, so he's not trying to gain but his daily goal is 3-4x of mine. I do most of our cooking (yes, he could cook his own food, but I like to cook for us!).

First, he snacks constantly through the day, and I don't. He eats a lot of nuts, fruit, vegetables, all healthy foods. But snacking adds a lot of calories for him that are non-meal related. Perhaps encourage your husband to take good, healthy snacks to work.

For main meals - I tend to add things to the dish after I serve my portion. If we have oatmeal, I'll make mine with water but his with milk, and add berries and almonds to his. If it's eggs, he gets extra butter in his, and at least two more eggs than I have. Plus more toast and bacon, of course.

Lunches and dinners - generally he just gets more protein and somewhat more carbs and fat than I do - either by me adding more meat to his portions, or if it's a stew or soup, I'll add extra cream, yoghurt or some bonus ingredient like soup dumplings to his. He doesn't really care for dessert (whereas I can eat it with every meal), so he will often have a later snack of guacamole, or a slice of bruschetta or some cold cuts and cheese.

Generally we eat the same things (with slight mods in places), he just eats more. I will not cook two separate meals for us, unless there's a very specific reason. He's not a picky eater so It's not that hard for him - it's harder for me to not eat like he does!