Running shoes for birthday/christmas?

Options
I have been running for about a month now. I love it, or rather I love the way I feel when I complete it. It is tough. I am 267lbs :( and I feel so slow! I am using the C25K app and I find that very useful.

Anyway, as I am furthering my quest for the "runner's body" and the ability to go long distances (my dream goal is the ability to run a 5K every day, I know it will take a while to get there but I like it) I have set my sights on the Color Run next year and I am working towards that.

I do not have the "quitter's mentality" so I do believe I will stick with it unless an unforeseeable event keeps me from it.. which brings me to my next point.

I have heard from many a runner how important it is to have the right shoes after a while to avoid injury, but I'm not sure if now is the right time. In addition to the shoes being quite an investment, I don't know if me being so heavy while I run makes my gait different (and maybe I should wait until I am thinner?) and I don't really know anything going into the situation.

My question is.. should I wait? What should I expect from the people I purchase these shoes from? Is there anything I should know ahead of time to be prepared? Is there anything you wish you had known about the event?

and

Have the shoes made a huge difference in your run?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that runners should be replaced every 6-12 months based on how much you run. I would definately say get a pair now, and 6 months from now you will have quite a few miles on them, be quite a few pounds down, and can get yourself a new pair.

I am just starting out running, and have been using very cheap, ill fitting shoes until I have the money saved up to get some. I am now having to take a few days off because of a bruised foot, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have happened if I had good shoes from the start.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding! I hadn't thought about the length of time I would be using them... thanks.
  • frogge6
    frogge6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store and have them watch you run. They will help you find the correct shoe for your gait. It will make a world of difference in your running. Expect to pay around 100 dollars for the shoes. Remember you are paying for their advice too, and if you like the shoes the next pair you can find on sale somewhere. I have a runners forum and a blue mile near me and both are staffed by runners. Good Luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would not wait. A pair of shoes should get you 300-400 miles. If you are heavy probably closer to the 300 mark. I have had mine for 6 months and I am not close to 300 miles yet, I am at about 250 miles. I am pretty consistent with only wearing my running shoes for running. I change them before and immediately after my runs to keep them in good condition.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Only read the OP but I'd absolutely get good running shoes now. You'll avoid injuries which could limit your running and progress. Why do you think you need to wait to get good shoes?

Anyway, when I started running I visited 2 running stores and didn't have a good experience at either. I read a lot of stories praising the benefits of getting a good foot and gait analysis by an experienced fitter at a running store. However, the first store I went to was way too small to watch me jog/walk. At the second store the sales guy didn't look at my gait or feet and either didn't know how to properly fit runners or he didn't take me seriously.

So, I went online to RoadRunnerSports, went through their tutorial and found my perfect shoe. I've since run countless 5Ks and a recent 10 mile run in that same model shoe without a single running injury. I started around 260 pounds, too. I'm down to 217 and really enjoy running. I'm slow too but I still get it done and feel fantastic afterward.

I read in Runners World Magazine (highly highly recommend subscribing to this, if you don't already!) a shoe article stated the heavier the runner, the heavier the running shoe. So, when you see shoes that advertise they are lightweight, that might not be a good choice for you. And I agree with a PP that being overweight means you go through shoes faster than a normal weight runner. I have to replace mine every 3 months and I run about 20 miles/week.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    When I first started I read a bunch about shoes on runnersworld.com and then I went to REI and Fleet Feet to get sized and fitted properly. I still read a lot about the shoes but I'm very partial to the Brooks Pure line...but that's because they fit my feet and my run perfectly. That may not be the case for YOU.

The right pair of shoes will make or break your run, in my opinion. As for how often they need to be replaced, it depends on the shoe. Ask and/or read about the shoes prior to purchasing. Lastly, be prepared to spend a good amount. I spend between 90 and 130 dollars every time I replace a shoe, dependent on the use (trail, street or race).
  • ShannahLopez
    Options
    Hi There....I recently started running also and am finally up to 2 miles a day. I finally broke down and bought myself a new pair of shoes because I had a lot of pain in my hips and ankles. I had a lot of pain in my hips and ankles and thought it was mostly due to my weight....once I got my running shoes though it all changed I don't have hardly any pain at all and I feel like I can go further because it doesn't hurt anymore. I paid close to $100 for my shoes and feel they are worth every penny. My advice would be to not wait :)

Good luck with your 5k...I just signed up for my first one on Thanksgiving morning, really hoping I make all the way!