over on sugar

Options
So today I was in my allowed amount of sugar until I decided to have a smoothie spinach pineapple blueberries strawberrys cucumber etc. Now I'm over 30 is that bad I'm not over my Carbs so does sugar matter if its from fruit and veggies.

Replies

• gemstone29
    Options
    The fiber in fruit and veg helps your body process the sugar however you can still overdo it in the fruit department. I try to stick to 2 serves of fruit max and even just with that I am always over my sugar limit :grumble:. Everyone has a different opinion on suagar but I find that if I control enough to keep it under that measure I go crazy about three days in and binge something chronic.
    It's something I am working on but if you generally eat well I dont think it is a huge deal.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar comes with the nutrition of the fruit it's from, but it is still sugar. I wouldn't worry if you go over on it, but if you are getting most of your sugar from processed foods or white sugar you may want to cut down on them.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the sugar metric is all but useless, unless you're working with a special diet where total sugar intake is critical to your health goals. Just my opinion, but I think what you generally want to worry about relative to sugar intake is (a) whether you've got a generally balanced diet and (b) added sugar, as opposed to naturally occurring sugars.

See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/my00845 for some related info.

With that in mind, I generally focus on my carb/fat/protein ratios and totals, and I try to limit "added sugars" as much as possible (something that can be seriously difficult with packaged, processed, dine-out foods).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you hit your carb target, sugar doesn't matter. Use common sense. Don't get most of your sugar from processed sources. But other than that, just manage your carbs. No need to even measure sugar.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Everything we put in our system matters. It may not hurt you now, but it will later. If you put X in your body then you need to do Y to get rid it. I am not a doctor, but your smoothies was healthy sugar. You have to be concern about the unhealthy sugars you put in. You know your body better then someone else. You may be able to take in the extra 30 and it not hurt you. Your friend may take in an extra 5 and gain 2 lbs. Know your limit and don't go over it a lot whether healthy or not.

Links I looked up:( I copy and Paste)
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-reduce-your-added-sugar-intake.aspx
    http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/sugar-and-substitutes/added-sugar-what-you-need-to-know.html
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar. I do sodium instead, because that one is far more important and potentially harmful to me. There are some health conditions that require someone to keep close track of their sugars, but if you don't have one of those and you aren't eating waaay too much sugar all day long, it shouldn't be necessary. If you're getting your proteins, fats, and fiber, and staying at or below your calorie goal, seems to me you should be fine.