Reality Bites!!!

Options
I signed up after the first of the year to lose atleast 30 pounds by next January, when I will be turning 40. I knew I was at one of my heaviest weights (lost 15 lbs. about 1 year ago), but am currently where I was when I was about 7 months pregnant with my kids (my youngest is now 11 1/2!)

Well, even though I knew I was close to my heaviest, I still would look in the mirror and pictures and think "I don't look bad, I look good". WELL..... last night when looking at some pictures on our computer, I found 2 pictures of me from this past summer, but they were sideview and WOW! I didn't realize how thick and heavy I look. I am sooo upset with myself that I gained so much weight over the past 3 years and haven't worked hard enough to get it off!!! My husband has told me I need to lose weight, but I also got upset and thought "you should love me as I am", however, he hasn't gained the weight that I have either... I see marriage as a checks & balance and I wasn't listening like I should have...

I am now more determined than ever. As much as it stung to see those pictures, it really put into perspective that reality is different than I saw it. Any ideas as far as diet and exercise - I am all ears! Considering doing the Couch to 5K and setting some 5K goals for this spring....

Replies

• JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    "There is nothing we won't try,
    Never heard the word impossible.
    This time there's no stopping us.
    We're gonna do it." :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • zrakovi
    zrakovi Posts: 20
    Options
    "On your mark, get set, and go now
    Got a dream and we just know now
    We're gonna make our dream come true....."

Thanks! You're a GREAT friend. Just really disappointed in myself and trying not to dwell on it and move forward!!! :)
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean about looking at the pictures and finally being able to see yourself for how your really look. That was my turning point. I had lost about 30 pounds and was fairly happy with my body before I met my boyfriend, but after we got together (we're basially married.. been together 4 1/2 years :bigsmile: ) but anyway, I put on all the weight I had lost PLUS about 30-40 pounds.. but I still saw myself as the same as I was when we first started dating. Then one night he took a really candid picture of me (it's actually one on my profile) and I just couldn't believe how bad I looked. I cried. But that was the best thing to have happened to me because right then and there I know for sure that I needed to change.

So don't be upset! It happens to many of us. The important thing is that you're here now and you're doing something about it. You can't change the past, but you can really make an impact on your own future by your daily actions. Use those pictures as motivation! I know that's what mine are for - to remind me of the me I NEVER want to see again.

Good luck, you can do it!!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean. I thought I was looking pretty good, I am already about 75 pounds lighter than my all time high, but I saw some pictures of myself from a night out with some friends and I was SHOCKED. I mean, I know I'm still 60-70 ponds overweight, but wow, I though I looked better than that! I so agree with Blondie 925, the important thing is that you're here now and you're putting forth the effort. Good luck!
  • lovemyboys27
    Options
    I have a feeling when I've lost 20 or so pounds and it's starting to be noticeable I'll think the same thing... "WOW I really looked aweful!". I always think to myself, I look okay, it's not THAT bad... But it is, and I can't wait to change it. Good luck!
  • zrakovi
    zrakovi Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one!! If nothing else, the pictures will motivate me to get my big butt moving!!! hahaha

I changed my goal to show that I want to lose 10 pounds, then when I accomplish that, I will change it to another 10 pounds - it is all mental for me!! I guess, whatever works....

I am so encouraged by everyone on here and the amounts of weight loss. It really shows that it is possible. I am soo ready to do this! Thank you again for the encouragement!