Go Hard or Go Home?

Options
Okay, so..I need advice...Here's the deal, I'm taking in about 1,350 cals a day. A deficit of 950. I jog and do circuit training including 30 Day Shred and other stuff, burning anywhere from 250-700 cals a day, probably an average of 400 cals a day with maybe one rest day a week. (I don't count, cleaning, walking, or other simple activity as a workout, only an actual workout, so those are just extra cals burned that I don't count toward my goals.) I'm eating clean, drinking plenty of water, not just doing low cal but i'm also doing high lean protein and low carbs. I also don't eat cals I've burned....So my question is should I be pushing harder? Do I need to burn more calories during the week? I have lost weight but I feel like I should be losing more. I know I'm probably gaining muscle too but still.... I really want to do this right and get the best results I can ...so any and all advice is welcome =) Thanks!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That's up to you to decide. You're living in the body, and can feel what it's doing. If you still feel great and have plenty of energy to fuel more work, do more work.

I am a big believer in pushing as hard as you can without keeling over. Doesn't work for everyone, but I know that I now feel better than I have in years. Granted, I hate cardio more than Republicans hate Obama, but I still do a small amount (about 45-60 minutes per week). Most of my training is lifting.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    u may just have to b patient. weight loss takes time. also its almost impossible to gain muscle at a 950 cal deficit plus all the cardio u r doing. best of luck
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is the best way to lose. People on here may recommend eating more. I tried this and it didn't help me. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Do you use a heart rate monitor? I was grossly miscalculating my burned calories. As fare as the wedding is concerned..... I'd amp up the workouts. Maybe add an extra walk or jog. Or use heavier weight with the 30 day shred. It worked for me (in measurements not weight). Good luck, you're on the right track :)
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...and I do use a HRM. =) I love it
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    u may just have to b patient. weight loss takes time. also its almost impossible to gain muscle at a 950 cal deficit plus all the cardio u r doing. best of luck

So should I increase my cals by a little? I don't want to bulk up but I do want to build some muscle.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    If what you are doing right now is working for you then don't worry about it. It looks like you are eating well and getting in exercise. Don't sweat it. You don't have to "Go hard or go home" to get good results :)
    I personally lost 70 pounds and have kept all but 20 of them off and I did what felt good for my body.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Well for me, I push as hard as I can with workouts. Granted, the kind of workouts I do are not for everyone and you have to know your own limitations. But I've built up to where I'm at now. I didn't just start out pushing this hard. But for me it feels good to just push myself. And it certainly is helping me lose weight quicker, I'm getting stronger, I'm feeling better, and I've heard exercise (particularly strength training) helps with loose skin. And so far that has been my experience.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It is possible to go so hard and heavy that your burn yourself out, and then you start sliding backward. Only you can know where that point is for you.
    My advice is to do something that you can stick with forever, if you want whatever results you get to be permanent.

ETA--I also generally push hard in my workouts, but martial arts is my passion and something that I plan to continue into my 80's. There is no end to how far I can progress in this area. That makes a big difference for me.