Scale changes but mirror doesn't?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.
    I have now lost 40 lbs (some before I started MFP). I still feel fat.
    I never really let people take photos of me before but the few that I have I look at and seems to me that I still look the same. I feel the same.
    I've got 20 more lbs to go. I hope I start feeling better soon !
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You just aren't seeing it. I have lost 22 pounds and not one person from my office has commented about it. Today I had to go to a different department that I used to work in. Every person that I stopped to talk too was "wow, you have lost weight". They saw the difference because they hadn't seen me in awhile. Take pictures, as others have said, if you want to compare.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am a health coach and I see this all the time with my clients. It takes a while for us to see our new changes. It took me a long time to take my "fat goggles" off.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The scale keeps going down, but honestly I don't see any change when I look in the mirror. Does this happen with anyone else?

I felt like that when I lost 60 lbs last time. I felt like I still looked the same as I did 60 lbs heavier. My body shape was the same. I don't want to be a skinner version of the fat me. I want a nice body. I was exercising with walking a little with weights. It was very discouraging. This time i will up the exercising a lot and see if I see the body changes I would like.

You should try a progressive loading weight lifting routine like StrongLifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting or Starting Strength. Not only will your body change for the better but you will be stronger and it's great for maintaining bone density as we age. Win/Win/Win
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am a health coach and I see this all the time with my clients. It takes a while for us to see our new changes. It took me a long time to take my "fat goggles" off.

About 4 years ago I went from a size 16 to a size 8 and never saw the difference in the mirror. Then I gained it all back plus more and all of a sudden I could look back at pictures of the size 8 woman and see the difference. It's crazy that we can't look in the mirror and see what everyone else already sees.