low resting heart rate

Options
I've been at my gym for about a month and a half now, and yesterday I had a check-up scheduled to see my progress. First, they made me lie down for five minutes with elektrodes atached to my side, and then I was supposed to stand up/sit down/stand up... to see how it effected my heart rate.
After the first five minutes, the girl told me she couln't perform the second half of the test because my resting heart rate was only 47 BPM, and this was too low for the computer program to calculate :-/ (What a dumb computer... :laugh: )

So, should I be worried for such a low resting heart rate?

Here are my other stats:
weight: 177.2 lbs
height: 5'4"
BMI: 30,26
VO² max: 33

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've been at my gym for about a month and a half now, and yesterday I had a check-up scheduled to see my progress. First, they made me lie down for five minutes with elektrodes atached to my side, and then I was supposed to stand up/sit down/stand up... to see how it effected my heart rate.
    After the first five minutes, the girl told me she couln't perform the second half of the test because my resting heart rate was only 47 BPM, and this was too low for the computer program to calculate :-/ (What a dumb computer... :laugh: )

So, should I be worried for such a low resting heart rate?

Here are my other stats:
    weight: 177.2 lbs
    height: 5'4"
    BMI: 30,26
    VO² max: 33
    I wouldn't be. Over the years, my heart rate and blood pressure have become lower. That means you're getting healthier.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yea mine is normally really low too, been told its normal for runners , etc.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It can be normal and healthy, but generally anything under 60bpm is labeled as bradycardia. It might be in your best interest to get a professional's opinion. My HR was 45bpm, but was not a sign of health as many other MFPers will tell you. Don't just assume.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Since I've been only exercising for about a month and a half, I would find it very hard to believe that it's the exercise that causes the low heart rate. Before, I was virtually addicted to my coach :laugh:
    But thanks for the feedback.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In the last year my RHR has gone from about 55 to 44 due manly to cycle endurance training. Tour de france cyclists are generally under 40 and can be as low as 28.

If all else is fine , its fitness creaping in :D

What a Crappy computer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's such a wide range, agree their program needs updating.
    I'm 52, bit overweight and fairly fit - resting heart rate is 55.

It's been lower when I've been fitter. Met plenty of fit & healthy people with resting pulse in 40's or even 30's.
  • Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    Such a heart rate is good. It's an indicator for a strong and healthy heart. Mine drops sometimes to 46, too. Be happy about it :) Your heart is ready for a long life!
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    47 is fine. are you a runner?
    if you are not feeling fit/healthy- head to your doctor
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the 40's too. My doctor say I have the heart of a runner. If he's happy, I'm happy. :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As long as your resting heart rate is above zero it's all good. :laugh:
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As long as your resting heart rate is above zero it's all good. :laugh:

:happy: thanks for the tip! I guess I can manage that... :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mine was only in the 60s when I was overweight, smoking, and drinking. Now it's around 40 first thing in the morning. It's probably normal, but only a Dr can tell you for sure.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It can be normal and healthy, but generally anything under 60bpm is labeled as bradycardia. It might be in your best interest to get a professional's opinion. My HR was 45bpm, but was not a sign of health as many other MFPers will tell you. Don't just assume.

Not in the absence of any further difficulties. It's only labelled as such when it *does* represent a health problem.

Most of the time, it's a sign of reasonable fitness. Mine is routinely in the mid 40s, when I'm active.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If no health issues are present, your heart rate is probably fine. My own RHR is tucked pretty well into the 47-53 range.