Not changed my diet but now I've gained weight?

Hi Everyone,

I've been following my 1450 calorie diet plan for about a month and a half. I have a weigh day on tuesday, last tuesday i only lost 0.8 pounds so I thought I would step up my game this week and make sure I didn't have any treats. I just weighed myself today, (friday) to check how I'm going and I put on 0.6 lbs. I walk for about 50 minutes a day and I play squash once a week so I know my excercise isn't great but I haven't changed my diet at all and I'm always slightly under my calorie intake...

I normally loose 1-2lbs a week, why have I started to gain weight?

Thanks for any help!

Christina

Replies

• juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Weight can fluctuate and it's only 0.6lbs gained so isn't a massive gain, I can't see your diary so can't see if maybe you're taking in too much sodium or drinking too little water - if either of those is the case your body could be retaining water. Or it could be water retention due to hormonal changes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was you :)
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    i swear you could lose half a pound burping so i wouldnt say you've gone UP per se. id say you're staying the same. i know this isnt helping you as to why.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Could just be water bloating. Try monitoring your sodium intake and be sure to drink plenty of water every day. Don't forget that its not unusual for us girls to retain water just before and during that time of the month too so if it's around that time for you this could be an explanation. If you're eating a healthy amount of nutritionally sound food most of the time, i wouldn't worry.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I put on weight AFTER going to the toilet.... so I would not be worried about it that much.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Do you weigh or measure your food? I notice if I don't measure everything I always under estimate. Also as the above posters mentioned 0.6 pounds is nothing to worry about. Perhaps you've even gained some muscle and lost fat, have your measurements changed?

I've been the same weight now for 5 weeks and all I can say is keep going and you will get there in the end. Good luck :)
  • missyrawien
    missyrawien Posts: 37 Member
    Ok, well I probably really don't drink enough water, maybe that's what I should be monitoring then. Thanks for the support guys! I'll be sure to watch that in future. I've just made my diary public and I don't think I'm having too many carbs, so I'll watch the water this week. (:

Thanks guys!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Don't worry about it and don't spend too much time thinking it through, there are a whole host of factors that can create weight gain and none of them relating to gaining fat...such as water retention, muscle repair, hormonal changes/balances/undigested food etc.

Just carry on as normal and weigh in next week. Sometimes there wont be a loss in a week. During my weight loss it wasn't unusual to not have a weight-loss for over a fortnight and then suddenly 3lb would be gone. Also use measuring as a guidance too. Your clothes falling off you and having to buy new ones is much more motivating than a number on a scale.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Add sodium to your diary. You will be stunned at how much you can consume. Lots of sodium can increase water retention. Good luck.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    I track my weight daily based on the formulae in here: (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/signalnoise.html) - it basically eliminates "noise" from water weight and other factors like inaccurate scales to ensure that the general trend in my weight is going down. I have an Android app called "Libra" which helps with the calculations. There are so many blips which could be a range of things, anything from incorrect calorie measurements to water retention to the time of day that you weighed yourself.

Tracking my weight like this has given me much more control, because it basically eliminates these "blips" and I am assured that despite my weekly weight having increased last week, I'm still bang on target.

If you are not going to read everything in that link, just read the bit under "Dexter's diary" and you'll see how applicable it is!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Hi Everyone,

I've been following my 1450 calorie diet plan for about a month and a half. I have a weigh day on tuesday, last tuesday i only lost 0.8 pounds so I thought I would step up my game this week and make sure I didn't have any treats. I just weighed myself today, (friday) to check how I'm going and I put on 0.6 lbs. I walk for about 50 minutes a day and I play squash once a week so I know my excercise isn't great but I haven't changed my diet at all and I'm always slightly under my calorie intake...

I normally loose 1-2lbs a week, why have I started to gain weight?

Thanks for any help!

Christina

If you are walking 50 minutes a day and eating around 1400 your net calories is under 1200 depending on how brisk your walks are.
    I don't see your exercise being logged which will add calories to your daily available calories. The goal calories per day already has a deficit built in and you should be eating those calories not trying to go below it.
    My suggestion is to keep eating like your eating and if you have another gain on Tuesday I would increase my calorie intake and see what happens the following Tuesday. But my guess is that if you just started eating and exercising your 1-2 lbs per week was the beginners weight loss and now things have settle down and you're really starting out. After all, this is really a Calories in vs. Calories out.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    TOM? hormones can make a big difference, and that is nothing to do with how you are eating.