• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Teddy K on the problems with the certification industry in America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJK6VdWSAIA
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    See if you can get some personal recommendations. You want a trainer that motivates you. You want a trainer that creates a work out for you and your goals. To do that he needs to ask lots of questions.

It's to much money to spend for a half effort on his part. Your paying them, they need to work for it.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That trainer sounds pretty crappy. When I met with mine he insisted on taking a full medical history, including all medications I'm taking, we talked about my goals and then he presented me with package/payment options. He was clear on what he felt I needed but didn't pressure me into anything.
    He also gave me a workout program appropriate to my fitness level, not where I wanted to start. I wanted to go straight to the free weights and weight machines but he felt that I needed to do some core strengthening first so designed a program based on that. Now we are starting to work in the exercises I like to do and he's starting to push me hard, which is exactly what I had hoped for in a trainer.

Good luck in your search!

Was there a medical reason he decided you needed to strengthen your core specifically?

I do have degenerative disk disease in my lower back...plus it's been 8 years since I've done any exercise other than cardio.