bulk weight from excersize

Recently i've put on about 6 pounds.... To be honest, i am not sure how, i rarely go over my calories and I have been working out more than ever. I wonder if its a result of working out so much because 1) it makes me hungrier 2) makes me gain muscle?

The probelm is that i feel that I am physically bigger from the muscle gain.....

I am not sure what to do? I do use excersise as a counter to anytime i go over my calories and i love to exxcersise but im hating the bulk im creating...

Any ideas?

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Are you lifting weights?

You may be lifting heavy (can only complete 5 reps) rather than lifting intermediate (10-15 reps). Heavy builds big and intermediate defines what you already have. Obviously there is more to it than this but its a general rule.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Are you lifting weights?

You may be lifting heavy (can only complete 5 reps) rather than lifting intermediate (10-15 reps). Heavy builds big and intermediate defines what you already have. Obviously there is more to it than this but its a general rule.
    Wrong.

The lower rep ranges are generally considered for strengths gains. The mid rep ranges provide hypo trophy and strength. That being said, one can increase hypotrophy in all rep ranges.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Are you lifting weights?

not at all..

OP: Its either water retention or you're eating too much. You can't gain muscle that quickly.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Are you lifting weights?

Wrong.

The lower rep ranges are generally considered for strengths gains. The mid rep ranges provide the hypo trophy and strength. That being said, one can increase hypotrophy in all rep ranges.

Fitnessocial and ilovedeadlift are right...

OP: how did you arrive at your calorie goal? are you eating above, below, or right around maintenance?
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Are you lifting weights?

not at all..

OP: Its either water retention or you're eating too much. You can't gain muscle that quickly.

^This. Nor will you bulk while eating at a deficit.
  • graemec2
    graemec2 Posts: 6 Member
    Just to back up what a few others have mentioned with regards Hypertrophy training Vs Strength/Power training.

That lower reps at a higher percentage of your 1rep maximum will be more inclined to develop power/strength rather than promote building of muscle mass.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Open your diary if you want better advice. May need a reset, or it may be water weight, but none of us can tell without more info.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    [/quote]

not at all..

[/quote]

Yep. I agree. How accurately are you measuring your food?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    It would be very difficult for a woman to put on six pounds of muscle that quickly....it would either be water retention or you are eating too much. Typically with strength gains you are weighing the same or a bit more, but you are losing inches, your clothes feel looser.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    OP - be aware of 3) water retention. A big increase in exercise, or intensity of exercise will make you retain water. Your muscles hold onto water as they repair themselves. This could definitely account for a few lbs gain on the scale. It's not likely to be a gain in muscle if you're eating at a calorie deficit, especially as you're not obese. It certainly wouldn't be 6 lbs worth in such a short space of time.

If you're actually bigger (and it's not just your mind messing with you) then either you're eating too much, or possibly you're bloated (increase in sodium, carbs, hormonal changes.) Is it possible that you are underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming? Are you using a food scale to measure food? Or could you be overestimating the amount you are burning? If you are relying on MFP's exercise database, that can be very inaccurate.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Thanks everyone... I think there are a few culprits

1) increase in food (hungrier due to more exersise!)
    2) water weight - i DEFINATELY have been having this.

I think i also have been overtrianing, probabley need a bit of a break...

Any more advice would really help - appreicate all the people that know more abotu all this than me!!
  • ALH1981
    Another thing i jsut realised is that i've been eating alot more carbs than ever! I have always maintained a very low carb diet but have recently increaased them... I know carbs arent 'all evil' but they've never worked for me - maybe this is the issue!!!

I will experiment and let everyone know... thakns for the advice so far!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Another thing i jsut realised is that i've been eating alot more carbs than ever! I have always maintained a very low carb diet but have recently increaased them... I know carbs arent 'all evil' but they've never worked for me - maybe this is the issue!!!

That is probably your reason right there. Going from a low carb diet to higher carbs will result in a lot of water retention the same way going to lower carb a lot of people see a huge drop in weighr quickly, because they are dropping water. It has nothing to do with carbs being good or bad, it's simply about the glycogen levels in your muscles. Glycogen requires water for storage. It is not fat storage.

Eta - the scale is a very unreliable measure of progress.
  • ALH1981

That is probably your reason right there. Going from a low carb diet to higher carbs will result in a lot of water retention the same way going to lower carb a lot of people see a huge drop in weighr quickly, because they are dropping water. It has nothing to do with carbs being good or bad, it's simply about the glycogen levels in your muscles. Glycogen requires water for storage. It is not fat storage.

Eta - the scale is a very unreliable measure of progress.

So does that mean it shouild start to even out soon or shall i just revert back to old ways?!