Exercise and water retention

Options
I have noticed when I really do a lot of exercises I tend to gain a little weight (approx 1-2 lbs) over the following day or so. I am not foolish enough to think that I have gained that much muscle and that it is most likely water retention. I know that increasing your water intake will help reduce the water weight, my question is, how much should I increase my water? I normally drink between 9 - 11 cups of water a day, and I know I should drink more, but how much?

Replies

• AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been told by several to drink half my body weight in ounces. So I drink a lot of water. That's what I would do!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    9-11 cups is probably enough. I usually try to get 2 quarts of water a day, and sometimes 3 quarts if I work out.

I think that 1-2lbs of water retention is normal, and I wouldn't bother trying to avoid it personally. I don't know for certain, but I think it has something to do with the way your muscles recover. My husband's arms are always swollen after his workouts, so I don't worry if I am a little puffy the next morning after mine.

If you actually feel bloated and weighed down, you might want to check out your sodium intake and try to reduce it, but if you feel ok and you just see the number on the scale... you might want to just weigh less often.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think in this case drinking more water will help. I think the idea behind drinking water to combat water retention is that if we are dehydrated, our bodies will retain water, so by drinking more we avoid dehydration and retention. Also they suggest lots of water to flush out extra sodium which can lead to retention.
    In the case of exercise it has to do with muscles being damaged and repaired and glycogen levels. I don't think extra water will affect that.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ok.. so I should just keep drinking the same amount of water I would normally drink and just let my body take care of the muscle repair/water retention on its own?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat (gained after a new exercise program and I know it's water retention) and I drink at least 3 liters (about 12 -14 cups) of water a day. I just keep at it, I figure I drink more than enough water and I'm just going to give it time.
  • migdalp
    migdalp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As per my weight when at 217, I was recommended to drink about 12 glasses of water. If I exercised drink 3 more. My weight also goes up down, up down a lbs or almost 2. You are not alone.