Any Joggers Start Out Overweight & Out of Shape Joggers?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm sure this has been asked before but I am too lazy to go look. lol, at least I'm being honest. Anyway, My gym membership has recently expired and I am currently trying to take up jogging as a means of cardiovascular exercise and to help me drop the rest of my weight. I started last week and I have done 5 days now. I guess I should start off that I weigh 235 pounds. When I first went to college 4 years ago I weight about 20 pounds less and was working out. I attempted jogging and I hated it. I got shin splints and that is what made me hate it. Well, since I have started I haven't gotten shin splints and jogging isn't bothering me that bad. My groin hurts afterwards, but the next day it's better. I interchange shoes between my Vibram 5 finger shoes, and my Asics. I find that when I use my Vibram's it's a lot easier for me to jog and go longer but my feet hurt really bad the next day. It could be partly because I am doing too much too soon in the minimalist shoes or that they are older Vibram's. I've had them for a while and wear them for every day use rather than jogging. When Looking on the bottom you can really tell they are worn. I think it's a combination of the both. When I use my Asics though I find it harder to jog and can't go as long. I notice I do more of a heel strike in my Asics rather than the front of my feet, which I use when I wear my Vibrams. A

Okay, sorry, I got off on a tangent there. Anyway, I was just wanting to ask if there are any seasoned and fit joggers out there that started off really overweight? I am 235 pounds and I realize that is a lot. These past 5 times in the past week and a half that I have gone I have actually enjoyed it. It could be, even though I am still really overweight, that I am more fit than I ever have been. Before my gym membership expired I was hitting up the gym like crazy. Now I just walk/ jog. I guess that I am looking for advice and tips from those of you that started jogging while you were overweight and are now fit and seasoned jogger. Feel free to share your story and give me advice and tips! I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and I am 62 years old. I am in week 6 day 3 of the couch to 5K and I can now run over 20 min straight. But I could not have done it without easing into running and without a good pair of running shoes. The last time I ran was over 40 years ago. You can run at any weight if you do it properly. I had shin splints really bad - but had not gotten the Asics Gels that I have now and they made all the difference in the world. Please have your gait evaluated (any sports store usually can do this) and get the best running shoes for your strike/gait and then ease into it - it's only an 8 week program and by that time you will be amazed at what your body can do. Good Luck!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I walked 5-10k a day (on a treadmill) for 3 months while I was working overseas. I weighed 315 at the time.
  • tatoress
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great app for your smart phone..I weigh 227 and I'm on week 5 day 2..I can now do 8 mins straight, and remember not too long ago barely being able to do the 1.5 minute runs without nearly tossing my cookies. I'm also running in my first race on Saturday. Shin splints are an issue for me, but with a good pair of a running shoes and by doing lots of stretches i do not suffer from them near as bad or as often. When I do have them, some ice helps alleviate the pain after a run. Good luck and enjoy!! Focus on endurance, not speed!!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I started out jogging at 220 lbs. It's doable -- but take your current set(s) of shoes into a store that is specifically for running and have them evaluate how you walk. I also recommend the C25K program and there's lot of different ones out there. I have the original app and I'm going to actually buy a second one simply because it's zombie based even though I don't really need the app anymore - I still like to go back through the program and increase my incline/speed.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    c25k!!! i did it when i was 232, 5'2" and I am finished and weight 214 now. I can run for an hour nonstop at a steady pace while before I started I could only run to cross the street!

Add me if you like! I run all the time now, but I definitely understand the struggle of being overweight and starting. Just remember, you CAN do it! :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a seasoned or particularly fit jogger but I started last November (a program like Couch to 5K) at about 215 pounds and not able to run a mile non-stop and having hated running for my entire life previously. I've now run over 11 miles non-stop, have done a few 5K races and two 10Ks and have two half-marathons coming up in the next several months. I've had to taper back some of my running in the past two weeks to recover from an injury and it's driving me nuts. I'm totally hooked.
  • smboston
    Options
    I'm jumping on the c25k bandwagon. I would have quit running without the guidance I got through that program. Plus you have a defined goal to reach.
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I started running I was 227 pounds. I didnt push myself, more of a run walk kind of thing. I just kept at it. One year later, I am 50 pounds lighter and training for a half marathon. Make sure you invest in a good pair of sneakers to prevent shin splints...and stretch! Good luck!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I will try out Couch to 5K! I had actually been thinking about doing it. The Asics that I use were fitted for my feet already. I did that a long time ago when I thought I was going to start jogging... Yeah right! When I step my feet go inward so I have a shoe that has this really hard material so my feet don't go inward. So since I can already jog for about 4 minutes should I still start out with the first week of C25K of walking for 90 seconds and then jogging for 60 seconds and doing that for 20 minutes?
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for about 5 years, and I love it. I've always been overweight doing it, and I find that with the right shoes and listening to my body, I've been pretty successful at it (no injuries, pretty good times for a recreational runner). I run 3-4 races per year, and I'm always right around a 10 min/mile pace. For me, it's all preparation. I start off slowly building my strength and breathing. I have one day when I focus on speed work, one day when I focus on increasing distance, and the other days I just do what I feel like. I'm also starting to build in 3 days of strength into my routine. It's funny, but my weight has never really affected my performance...well, at least I don't feel it has. I'm now trying to lose about 30-40lbs, and I'm hoping that I will be able to do a half-marathon/marathon once I do. The longest I've done so far is 15K :).

It's funny, but after I finish a race, I always feel pretty proud that I'm right up there with some of the thinner runners :)...maybe one day, I'll be one of those thinner runners :)..
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm still overweight. And I run. Running and strength training are the only way I can drop weight.

In the beginning it was painful. Aleeve and I were bffs. Everything hurt - from my feet & hips to the wounds I eventually had from my bra rubbing on my boobs. Glide helped in the beginning but these were deep wounds. It's taken 3 weeks to heal enough for me to beginning running again.

but I lost 30lbs in 4 months. so worth it!!!
  • Nettajon
    Nettajon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the C25K program. Is this app only available for Iphone/Ipad users? This is actually my first time hearing about the program, but this is also my first time taking an interest in getting physically into shape and actually doing something about it! Thanks everyone!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i was 206 when i started a 5k running plan. got down to 185/180 by the time 3 months was up.

it's hard, for sure. and my boobs were C cups so they weren't jiggling like crazy, as i know some women have that problem.

and stretch! every single time after running. for 5 minutes. it feels great too
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I started jogging at 300 pounds. I started walking immediately, once I could walk for an hour and a half without a problem I started C25K. I can jog for 10+ minutes out of my daily walk, but I can't jog for more than 4 minutes straight or I start to see black spots because of my lungs, so I put C25K on hold for now. Obviously I'm far from seasoned and fit, but we all start somewhere, and I wanted you to know I started off worse than you. Just ease into it, and before you know it you'll be running 10Ks
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've shifted to jogging daily, currently overweight... but still.
    *edit to add: I'm 5'10" 245lbs and a former smoker... you can do it!*

Don't be afraid of it, and DON'T STRIKE WITH YOUR HEEL! :D midfoot strike is what you're aiming for (foot-pad right behind your toes) You can (most do) let your heel touch AFTER the initial shock of the step is absorbed, but don't hit heel-first, it's a quick way to hurt yourself because it's improper form :)

Try taking it easy on your vibrams the first bit. There's next to nothing on them to begin with, so a little wear isn't gonna do much. Theres no cushioning to squish like normal shoes. From what you've said they force you to have good form, it just takes time to build up to using them. I personally went with a better cushioned shoe first, just to build up my legs so that I can work on form while still keeping my distance/speed up so I can burn more. Once I get closer to my GW/fitness level, I'll be buying minimalist shoes and running almost exclusively in those.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you could call me a "seasoned and fit jogger" buuut I started jogging well over 200 pounds, have since graduated the C25k program, done a 10k and have another 10k coming up in a few weeks. And I'm sill over weight.. but I've found that running has made me feel stronger and I LOVE the feeling every time I hit a new distance or get a new personal best. So absolutely no reason to wait to start :)

Also, I really love my Asics!
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the C25K program. Is this app only available for Iphone/Ipad users? This is actually my first time hearing about the program, but this is also my first time taking an interest in getting physically into shape and actually doing something about it! Thanks everyone!

No, it's available for android as well. :)
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Nettajon - I googled the c25k program initially & just printed off the day/week intervals i was supposed to do. You can download the app (or similar ones) generally to any smartphone.

OP - I recently re-started the c25k program. I don't love running & I'm not great at it, but I do it. I am overweight & haven't run into any major issues with running yet. I do the program both on the dreadmill & outside on trails in my area. I have had to repeat weeks when I've done the program before but I figure as long as I'm giving it my all that's what matters vs. just quitting the program altogether because I couldn't get past a certain day or week of the program. Good luck to you!
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to get out there and start jogging. Not quite sure how/where to start, but nothing hurts but to try! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • bakenatj
    Options
    I'm not an expert on this but I have been running for 5 years now. I would stick with your normal running shoes and ditch the Vibram 5 finger shoes. Bare foot running, which is what you would be doing in the Vibram 5 finger shoes, is a different running style than running in normal shoes. Running barefoot you should slowly transition into because of the way you land on your foot when running barefoot. You have to learn to land on the front of your foot to the typical heel that most runners land on. The theory is that landing on the front of foot lessons the stress on joints.

The problem you will run into if you don't ease into barefoot running is injury, from what I am told. Since you are just getting into running you should probably run with a normal shoe. Switching between the shoes might be what is causing you pain while running.