Push ups and carpal tunnel

Options
Has anyone here used push up bars to address carpal tunnel symptoms caused by doing push ups? If so, did they help?

Thanks.

Replies

• PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had carpal tunnel release surgery a few years ago and push-ups are very difficult for me. Too much pressure on my palm and wrist and I end up with pain. Other than when I do push-ups, the surgery was a great success and I'm pain free. I tried push-up bars but I found that they weren't much help. The only thing that helped somewhat was wrapping my wrist with an ace wrap and putting something cushiony inside the ace wrap on my palm. I was asking someone at work for suggestions and he suggested trying to do them with a closed fist and placing your knuckles on the floor....but you would want some sort of padding under your knuckles...it would not be comfortable on a concrete floor. So, basically, I really haven't found anything that completely relieves the discomfort when doing push-ups. I just do as many as I can with my wrist wrapped and padded. I'm sorry that I don't have a solution but just thought I'd pass on what has been of some help to me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not carpal tunnel, but I shattered my wrists when I was ten and push ups aggravate the injury really badly. I try to do push ups from my fists, if possible, and while I don't own a pair at the moment, "perfect pushup" has actually worked really well for me and they're only $20.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    "perfect pushup" has actually worked really well for me and they're only $20.

I've actually found them for cheaper at Ross/TJ Maxx. At my store they have a little fitness equipment niche at the front of the store (inflatable balance balls, yoga mats, 2lb pink weights, etc). I have a metal plate in my wrist from surgery four years ago and I have soreness as well, Perfect Pushup seems to help more than just a bar.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "perfect pushup" has actually worked really well for me and they're only $20.

I've actually found them for cheaper at Ross/TJ Maxx.

Awesome idea, glad I hadn't bought them yet. I bet Marshall's has 'em.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks. :smile: I'll look into those suggestions.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I dont specifically have CT. I have multiple wrist tendonopathies, and I find these push up assisters make it hurt more...

I found doing pushups slowly (2 count down, 3 count up) and on my knees is the best way for me to still benefit from push ups but not flare up my wrist issues.

Good luck! Pushups are awesome, unfortunately... LOL!