Should one detox before starting a diet?

Options
Hello everyone, I have recently decided to get with my weight loss journey. I am curious to know if I should detox my body to rid all the chemicals first, before dieting. If it is good for your body, what is the best type of detox? I am very ready to drop some weight, and be a healthy momma!

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    No. You're body will "detox" itself without any help.

Smack is usually out of your system in a couple of days. Coke and speed usually within 24 to 48 hours.
  • MommaShorty
    MommaShorty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did not do any of those body detox things I just added more water
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Smack is usually out of your system in a couple of days. Coke and speed usually within 24 to 48 hours.

:laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    no need for a detox.
    thats why your body has a liver and kidneys..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No need to "detox"-- your liver/kidneys already do that just fine. Just start eating healthier foods.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/debunking-detox.html
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    no need for a detox.
    thats why your body has a liver and kidneys..

This ^
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, it's not necessary. Drink plenty of fluids, eat plenty of fibre, and you liver, kidneys and digestive system will do that job for you.

I'm not sure what chemicals you're concerned about? If you have issues with a particular chemical, such as caffeine or aspartame, the answer would be to cut them down/out permanently, not just for a short detox and then add them back in again.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Its completely up to you...just dont go spending hella koney on a huge detox kit or anytying...ive found most of them make a hig deal about water consumption...i tried detox7 and didnt notice a difference...but i feel it did not help just got me into tuat super motivation stage :) and the bottle was only 7 or 8 bucks. Just remember to drink half your hody weight (in fl. Oz.) Of water
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I have recently decided to get with my weight loss journey. I am curious to know if I should detox my body to rid all the chemicals first, before dieting. If it is good for your body, what is the best type of detox? I am very ready to drop some weight, and be a healthy momma!

Are your liver, kidneys and sweat glands not functioning correctly?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Post of the day.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I did not do any of those body detox things I just added more water

Exactly what I did.
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the detox, because without dieting, I consume preservitives- which has chemicals in them.I didn't know if detoxing was best, but from the comments, water and my own body will rid them. I want to start a healthy lifestyle for myself to lose weight, and to give my children a healthier lifestyle for their future.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    There are detox diets that will help alleviate cravings for the "not so" nutritious food. I know it helped me a lot. If you would like to know more information, let me know.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options

HAHA! What's the rule on meth?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

no, and one should not diet - just make changes so that you follow a healthy lifestyle that enables you to lose weight and then maintain a healthy weight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

HAHA! What's the rule on meth?

Meth=speed. I grew up in the 80s.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's true that your body will detox itself, but your head is another matter. I started my journey with a 3-day fast/cleanse, and it served a few very important purposes: 1) it taught me that I wouldn't starve to death if I missed a meal, 2) it got me off caffeine (wicked headache for half a day), and 3) kick-started my motivation by showing me a quick drop on the scale (yes, I know, all water). You don't need to spend money on it, though. Just pick something where you take in lots of liquids for a few days to get you started.

P.S. Feel free to "friend" me if you like. ;c)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My idea of "detox" is to regularly eat food without added chemicals, as often as possible.
    If you really needed to detoxify manually, you wouldn't have been born with a liver and kidneys. Your body does a great job of detoxifying itself, just eat natural food.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No. But I always try to poop before I workout.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No. But I always try to poop before I workout.

I pooped while you were typing this