New Goal

Options
I live and work near the CN Tower in Toronto Ontario Canada - like most people here I see the tower all the time and it's now become something like background noise until someone points it out or mentions it and then like others I have my moment of pride in it (it is one of the tallest free standing structures in the world and it's our's!!!) But for the most part I really dont pay all that much attention to it.

There are lots of interesting facts about this unique structure (more here if you're interested - www.cntower.ca) but this morning on the radio I heard something that made me pause and think about the tower in a new way.

Before I started my journey to a healthier me I had thought about things like marathons, 5k`s and triathalons and things like a lot of thin-challenged people - those be some crazy insane peoples - no way would you ever see me even consider running that far (or at all) forget that nonsense - However, I started this journey and since I did I`ve been re-thinking my stance on a lot of things - vegetables really wont kill me (but I still wont eat liver!) Exercise really does make you feel better and maybe it could be fun to run a 5k and gasp in shock - maybe even someday a marathon or triathalon (a little ways in the future of course)

Which brings me back to the CN Tower - this morning on the radio - the dj of the morning show was talking about how he did the Tower Climb for the United Way Charity last night - so here I am listening to this and my first unconsious thought was - dumbass - who in their right mind would climb the CN Tower - they put an elevator in it for a reason - then my consious brain kicked in and went - hey....wait a minute - that could be cool in more ways than one - I mean - huge exercise bonus, wicked calorie burn, big time donations to a great charity, and no one - absolutely no one you know could or would do it - we need to look into this a bit more

So the Tower Climb - once a year the United Way does the Tower Climb as a fundraising event for the charity (still have to look more into this) Individuals and Businesses register, raise money and climb the tower for a good cause and the Tower Climb for 2012 is this week (they spread it out over a few days to get everyone in. It`s a tall tower - but not a wide tower

So here is a bit of info on the Tower

First - the CN Tower is almost 150 stories tall - 1,815 ft, 5 inches
It`s got one hell of a view (been up there once and that was enough - I`m not really good with heights)

and

since it`s relevent here -

it also has 1776 steps which is what makes it interesting for the Tower Climb for Charity

So I think the Tower Climb might just make it onto my goals list - maybe in 2014 - have to get the knees used to moving a bit more first

Anyone else consider doing something like this or have an interesting exercise-y type thing like this where you live??

Replies

• StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You should totally do it! I did the Renaissance Center climb here in Detroit. I"ve done it for 5 years now. The first year was still my best time, because I trained for 5 months. (the consecutive ones, I didn't train as well) Up and down stairs 3 days a week. And climbing stairs is an AWESOME workout!!!! Lots of calories burned, legs and butt shape up....I mixed it up. I had access to a 2 story stair well.. so walk up 1x, run the next time, do 2 steps the next time, lunge up the next time, etc....