A reference to a particular type of Sprinkle, namely, Chocolate Sprinkles
    I don't want rainbow sprinkles, I want some Jimmies

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jimmies

...and sprinkle has its own alternate meaning that I can't post here
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    "stones" instead of lbs or kg

1 stone is 16 lbs. Just one of the insane and random measurements that we Brits use.

I think you'll find that a stone = 14lbs.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    "Tea" When people say they had some kind of food for tea, that always gives me pause. I still don't quite understand what it is. Is it a meal, is it a snack? Idk!!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    So is telling someone to "bugger off" as bad as FU here in the states? Just wondered if that was really just to get people to go away or something else

Bugger is quite a mild curse word nowadays. When you call someone a bugger, you're saying that they indulge enjoy 'back door love'.:wink::laugh:
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had a good laugh while reading many of the differences! English is my second language, and I have never ever lived in any English speaking country. But I lived my whole life in South America, and I'm more familiar with American English slang and vocabulary. I've learnt many British words though and I mix them all up all the time.
    This is a problem when you live in Europe and need to take a Cambridge international exam. They expect you to either speak American English OR British English...never mixing them up and using the correct spelling. If possible,they expect your accent and intonation to be perfect according to the "type" of English you chose to use.

I always give up and never take the exam!

But reading that you native speakers also have trouble with this or get puzzled at the differences in vocabulary,slang and grammar makes me feel a bit better!