Exercise & Weight Loss

Options
Hey everyone!
I am very frustrated at this point. I workout to JM at least 3x's a week and than I walk 1.5 - 1.75 miles the rest of the time. My issue is, I am not losing any weight. Actually, I am gaining. :huh: My question is, how many days should I have a rest day to show any type of weight loss? Or what else should I be doing to lose weight? My food and exercise diary is open for everyone to see and I have stayed below my calorie intake everyday. Please help??

P.S. - My friends that I have on my profile, you guys are the best!!! Thanks for the continued support! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I was going to take a look at your diary to see if I can help but I cant see it sorry,you dont mention your height and current weight!
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I weigh 149 and I am 5'1. And I reset my food diary to public.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    To much sodium. It makes you hold water. Try to cut back on the fast food and pizza and drink more water.
  • asra425
    asra425 Posts: 14
    Options
    Keep in mind that exercise that you are doing is likely to also help you build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Try taking measurements of your waist, arms and legs and see if those are going down. As long as that is going down you are on the right track!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that exercise that you are doing is likely to also help you build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Try taking measurements of your waist, arms and legs and see if those are going down. As long as that is going down you are on the right track!

Sorry, but this isn't true. If she's eating in a calorie deficit, she's not building new muscle.

I vote for water retention due to sodium. How long has it been since you took a break? I took a week off and dropped 4lbs. It's good to let your body recover every now and then.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    You've done a great job so far but if you are ready to take it up a notch, I would start by cleaning up your diet---bump up your protein at every meal---egg whites, chicken, lean ground turkey, fish, whey etc, add green veggies to all of those and remove the processed food you are eating. no mcdonalds, pizza, mac and cheese. You can eat more of these foods and feel fuller by cleaning it up a bit. then watch how much carbs, fruit and fats you add to a few meals as well.
  • jamielynn020610
    Options

Sorry, but this isn't true. If she's eating in a calorie deficit, she's not building new muscle.

I vote for water retention due to sodium. How long has it been since you took a break? I took a week off and dropped 4lbs. It's good to let your body recover every now and then.

Took a break from what? Exercising? I take a day or 2 off but I feel quilty about not working out.
  • jamielynn020610
    Options
    Hi!!
    You've done a great job so far but if you are ready to take it up a notch, I would start by cleaning up your diet---bump up your protein at every meal---egg whites, chicken, lean ground turkey, fish, whey etc, add green veggies to all of those and remove the processed food you are eating. no mcdonalds, pizza, mac and cheese. You can eat more of these foods and feel fuller by cleaning it up a bit. then watch how much carbs, fruit and fats you add to a few meals as well.

I kind of knew that I need to get off the processed food. I am just trying to figure out what I can do to lose it faster.
  • lpbm5
    lpbm5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your workouts and eating the extra calories? Sometimes if you don't eat enough, from your heavy workouts (I workout to JM and know how hard it is!!), your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold on to the weight so you won't lose weight. Just an idea.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Yeah no mcdonalds ever and you need to eat more than 1200 cal.
  • jamielynn020610
    Options
    Are you logging your workouts and eating the extra calories? Sometimes if you don't eat enough, from your heavy workouts (I workout to JM and know how hard it is!!), your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold on to the weight so you won't lose weight. Just an idea.

I do log in my workouts but I do not eat the extra calories that I burn. I wasn't for sure if I needed too along with how often I need to workout, how long for rest days, etc.
  • jamielynn020610
    Options
    Yeah no mcdonalds ever and you need to eat more than 1200 cal.

For my height, how many calories should I be eating? My doc put me on 1200 calories a year ago but that was when she had me on Adipex.
  • lpbm5
    lpbm5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do log in my workouts but I do not eat the extra calories that I burn. I wasn't for sure if I needed too along with how often I need to workout, how long for rest days, etc.

I would start with that, you may not be eating enough on the days that you work out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Took a break from what? Exercising? I take a day or 2 off but I feel quilty about not working out.

I think she means take a break from eating at a deficit.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

you need to eat more - take a look at the link and
    find your BMR - don't eat below that number.
    find your TDEE - eat around 20% less than this

This will give you a single daily target number that includes both your planed deficit and you exercise burn. You do not need to chase after exercise calories. As counter-intuitive as it may sound "Less is not More" when it comes to weight loss. You need to fuel the loss. Once you finde your TDEE and your 20% deficit - increase your daily calories by 100 a week until you get there. You can not build muscle with too large a deficit and you hormones will cause you to hoard energy when you deficit is too large for too long. That is why the initial loss has slowed and reversed even though you intake has not changed.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I saw a day where you ate less than 1200, you should never ever go below that number. On days you exercise you should eat more because your body needs the fuel however your workouts are pretty light. I did read another thread today that said that short people can get away with eating less, but I don't know anything about that but that is another viewpoint to consider I guess.

I see you buy the same chicken wrap from McDonalds everyday, you can easily make that yourself. Grill up some chicken on Sunday, cut it into portions, then everyday put one portion in a tortilla and sprinkle some cheese on top and throw it in the microwave at work, then when you pull it out insert some lettuce.

I think diet drugs are scary so I hope you're off of it. Are you drinking redbull to replace that stimulant? Do you eat fruit, I'm not seeing much of it? Just 100 calorie treats. It seems like all you eat is processed foods: frozen meals, take out pizza, fast food, kraft mac and cheese foods out of a plastic bag (100 cal snacks). I saw one day you made a sandwich but with white bread. When do you cook?
  • jamielynn020610
    Options
    I saw a day where you ate less than 1200, you should never ever go below that number. On days you exercise you should eat more because your body needs the fuel however your workouts are pretty light. I did read another thread today that said that short people can get away with eating less, but I don't know anything about that but that is another viewpoint to consider I guess.

I see you buy the same chicken wrap from McDonalds everyday, you can easily make that yourself. Grill up some chicken on Sunday, cut it into portions, then everyday put one portion in a tortilla and sprinkle some cheese on top and throw it in the microwave at work, then when you pull it out insert some lettuce.

I think diet drugs are scary so I hope you're off of it. Are you drinking redbull to replace that stimulant? Do you eat fruit, I'm not seeing much of it? Just 100 calorie treats. It seems like all you eat is processed foods: frozen meals, take out pizza, fast food, kraft mac and cheese foods out of a plastic bag (100 cal snacks). I saw one day you made a sandwich but with white bread. When do you cook?

I have bought alot of the items to make the chicken wraps at home, thankfully. So should I eat my exercise calories too? I do eat fruit but not enough like I should be doing. I do cook during the week when I am at home or on the weekends. I am off the diet drugs and have been for about 6 months. I drink the redbull just to help me get through the mornings because I am very slow in the am and still tired.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Exercising. I hurt my ankle and couldn't really do anything, but it turned out to be a good thing. I ate at my sedentary TDEE -20%.
  • jamielynn020610
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

you need to eat more - take a look at the link and
    find your BMR - don't eat below that number.
    find your TDEE - eat around 20% less than this

This will give you a single daily target number that includes both your planed deficit and you exercise burn. You do not need to chase after exercise calories. As counter-intuitive as it may sound "Less is not More" when it comes to weight loss. You need to fuel the loss. Once you finde your TDEE and your 20% deficit - increase your daily calories by 100 a week until you get there. You can not build muscle with too large a deficit and you hormones will cause you to hoard energy when you deficit is too large for too long. That is why the initial loss has slowed and reversed even though you intake has not changed.

I am not sure how to even figure this out. I have tried and I fail.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I had the same thing happen when I had to take a week off for medical reasons. Broak a 3 week stall.

When you work out a lot, your muscles hold a lot of water. I'll bet if you keep your eating at the same calorie count, cut back on sodium (prepared food and cheese) and just walk or stretch for a week you'll see a difference. If not you haven't really lost anything and can try something else. (Note: cutting back on exercise will do the same thing to your Net Calories as raising your calories and raising your calories isn't always a bad thing. Read the "Road Map....")