What's for Dinner?

Options
I'm looking for cheap and quick, but HEALTHY recipes for dinner. I only need dinner for two, it's just me and my husband.

Any ideas?

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    What do you like? Or what do you have on hand?
  • siberiankiss
    Options
    We're having chicken cacciatore:

1 onion , finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves , crushed
    olive oil
    1 x 400g tins tomatoes
    2 tbsp mascarpone
    a handful basil
    2 chicken breasts , skin on

Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Fry the onion and garlic in 3 tbsp oil until softened but not coloured. Add the tomatoes, season, then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick and glossy. Take off the heat and stir in the mascarpone and half the basil, roughly torn.
    Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the chicken on both sides until golden. Transfer to a baking dish and pour over the sauce. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Scatter over the rest of the basil.

(From bbcgoodfood)

Really yummy. Nice with some roast potatoes or a bit of brown rice.

312 kcalories, protein 35.2g, carbohydrate 6.9g, fat 16.1 g, saturated fat 5.3g, fibre 2g, salt 0.87 g
  • wakkodragon
    Options
    Grilled chicken salads are always a good choice. The vegies are for the most part "free" foods. Just make sure you dont add fat cooking the chicken and be careful of dressing choices. I have also found some really great recipies in the biggest loser cookbook from last year. Good luck!
  • trmiller21
    trmiller21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What I like to do for my husband and I is to think of the foods that we love and eat just the fillings (i.e. fajitas with no tortilla) or how can I substitute chicken or turkey to make the food more healthy. For example, I love tacos, but they're very high in fat and carbs. I use ground turkey instead of beef and eat them "naked" or with no shell with low fat cheese, low fat sour cream and salsa. Add in lettuce for a taco salad and they're great! Another favorite is turkey meatballs with a low calorie spaghetti sauce. You could add whole wheat pasta if you want more substance than just the meatballs. You can also make spaghetti bolognese with ground turkey instead of ground beef and whole wheat pasta. There's lot of options, just think of what you like to eat normally and make it healthier.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great tips so far!

we enjoy all kinds of foods. there's not a whole lot we don't like. last night we baked fish, with rice and brussel sprouts.

how about any good crockpot recipes?
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Crock pot chicken salsa?

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=672711

Super low cal and TASTEY and soooo easy!! Literally takes less than 2 minutes to dump in crock, and very minimal ingredients!!

I saw it on sparkrecipes as one of the top rated recipes.

I used mine with a "healthy" tortilla but i see a lot of people use it with brown rice. I also.. dipped scoops chips in it... haha...

Also this site you can type in how many calories you want and keywords and find a ton of recipes! I just made stew!
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    awesome! i'm gonna have to check it out!