BBQ Sauce

Options
I used to use Kraft original but thought it was too plain. I like thick, tangy BBQ sauce, so I asked opinions on Facebook, and EVERYONE said Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. So this past Saturday, I decided to give it a whirl with the pulled pork slow-cooker recipe I made - and I LOOOOOVED it!

The next day, while warming up leftovers, I glanced at the back of the bottle and saw the #1 ingredient was high fructose corn syrup! ARGH! Why did I not check this before buying it?! Now I'm on the hunt for another really good BBQ sauce that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup - or a recipe for a nice, thick tangy BBQ sauce.

Any suggestions on bottled sauce or any recipes you wanna share?

Replies

• hdlb111
    hdlb111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to use Kraft original but thought it was too plain. I like thick, tangy BBQ sauce, so I asked opinions on Facebook, and EVERYONE said Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. So this past Saturday, I decided to give it a whirl with the pulled pork slow-cooker recipe I made - and I LOOOOOVED it!

The next day, while warming up leftovers, I glanced at the back of the bottle and saw the #1 ingredient was high fructose corn syrup! ARGH! Why did I not check this before buying it?! Now I'm on the hunt for another really good BBQ sauce that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup - or a recipe for a nice, thick tangy BBQ sauce.

Any suggestions on bottled sauce or any recipes you wanna share?

My favorite is Cattleboyz bbq sauce, it is amazing. Especially on a bbq'd steak. But I also think it may only be avaliable in Canada, its made in Alberta. It doesn't contain HFCS though, just plain old sugar.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    make your own, it's pretty easy. Tomato paste, vinegar, sugar of choice (a little molasses goes a long way) and spices. Viola, you're done.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    i dont care what the ingredients are, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Chipolte BBQ Sauce is the best tasting thing ever... I would put that **** on my Cheerios!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    i dont care what the ingredients are, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Chipolte BBQ Sauce is the best tasting thing ever... I would put that **** on my Cheerios!

Sweet baby Ray's has always been a staple in my family.

Though recently my bf made some with liqiud smoke and whiskey! I put that over chicken in the crockpot all day, shredded the meat and served on texas toast. Yummy!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Stubb's.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Eat your Sweet Baby Ray's, girl:

"Studies by the American Medical Association suggest "it appears unlikely that HFCS contributes more to obesity or other conditions than sucrose", but welcome further independent research on the subject.[15] Further reviews in the clinical literature have disputed the links between HFCS and obesity,[16] type 2 diabetes,[17] and metabolic syndrome,[16] and concluded that HFCS is no different from any other sugar in relationship to these diseases. HFCS has been classified generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration since 1976.[18]"

Like with anything else, just keep it in moderation and unlike Gorilla's suggestion, don't put it on your Cheerios.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    HFCS hasnt been around enough years to have any valid studies although they are linking it to ADHD now. I steer clear of it for me and my family. Not sure where you live but Stop and Shop and Shaws have a brand called Naturally Delicious and it is delicious and free of unnatural ingredients. I buy that brand BBQ, ketchup and mayo. All very good.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    America's Test Kitchen did a taste test a while back and Bullseye came out the winner with the brands they tried. Before that, I was a KC Masterpiece Spicy Original kind of girl, but I gave Bullseye a shot and LOVE IT! I don't care what's in it, lol.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Stubb's.

Totally agree!
  • rambo831
    Options
    Head Country and Blues Hog for me. Some of the most used sauces on the competition circuit.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    BAHA! LOVE this!

Sweet Baby Ray's is sooooo good! I don't eat BBQ a LOT, so I might just stick with it.