Dear Fellow 5 AM Runner....

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Curious - for those that run in the dark without a light, why do you chose that?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Curious - for those that run in the dark without a light, why do you chose that?

Street lamps, and I run on a sidewalk meant for pedestrians. It's dark but not so dark you can't see the pavement.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Well for me, running at 5 AM is the only time I have to get out. I don't necessarily CHOOSE to run without a light though. I have a blinker, but it keeps falling off, so I don't wear it anymore. Now I just have my kid's finger flashlight, which actually works quite well. I wear it for visiblity though...not necessarily to light my way...

Edited to add: I also run on a fairly main road with a lot of street lights.
  • Eric53066
    Eric53066 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

What secretlobster said. We have sidewalks and streetlights everywhere that I walk. (Working up to jogging/running)

There's a nature trail by my house though that's unlit and when I go there I take lighting with me.

I also try to wear at least a bright top, as most of my running pants are dark, but they all have reflective stripes down the sides.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I'll tell y'all what bug the cr@p out of me, though. It seems like every freaking car on the road in my area has their brights on ALL THE TIME.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's not every car, but I swear some drivers think that since it's dark out, their normal headlights aren't enough. Yes, thanks, I run in the dark because I enjoy being blinded

PS: I'm not going running any earlier (read: darker) before my reflective vest comes in :)

I have definitely noticed this too!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Also, a simple "on your left!" will suffice.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options

Street lamps, and I run on a sidewalk meant for pedestrians. It's dark but not so dark you can't see the pavement.

Yup, this. I don't need a light to see where I'm going. As I mentioned above, I DO get blinded sometimes by oncoming cars with their brights on, but a headlamp or flashlight wouldn't really help with that. I kind of find it odd that people need a light to see outside at night, unless you're in a more rural area (which I am not) or you know, in a cave. :) Where I am there are some street lights, a sidewalk and except for when the moon is in crescent or new phase, that provides some light as well.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wear a headlamp if I'm running in the early hours (before 7:30 AM), cars and other pedestrians have no problem seeing me!
  • spotdog14
    Options
    When I run in the dark I sometimes wear black (only because most of my long sleeve stuff is black) but I always wear either an orange or neon green shirt over it. I never run with a light, but then again I always run on the sidewalk too. The only time I run in the road is on a dirt road I take back to my house and the only time I have ever had a problem with a car on that road was a cop texting and driving where I had to jump into the ditch to avoid getting hit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    you would think you would see their headlamp coming ?? Do people actually run on the roads in the dark without a headlamp or flashlight ???

Yes, I've seen numerous runners and cyclists eager for a Darwin award. (The path I use for my 10K and longer runs is pitch black at 5:00AM)

To the OP, you'd be aware of my headlamp coming up behind you (I'm not a ninja runner or cyclist) you'd also hear me saying "on your left" if I was actually able to pass you.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since it's pitch black out and there are cars going by, please make SOME kind of noise as you're coming up behind me so that you don't scare the **** out of me and I can keep my heart in my chest, where it belongs, instead of my throat!

A nice "Hello" or "Good Morning" would be MORE than sufficient!

Thank you!

That would be me, I wear all black or camo on my morning runs! Luckily I'm on a trail so I don't have to worry about cars.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Yes I think our running environments are completely different. When I go out for a run it's pitch black on a back country road, each property is at least an acre apart and there are NO/ZERO street lamps... the roads are all in horrible shape so there are lots of potholes and uneven ashphalt.....oh and no sidewalks. There is always a skunk, racoon, moose or deer along the way so you want to see them too.

I run in usually in dark pants but my jacket, vest and shoes are all reflective. Plus I have a flashlight in my hands too
  • wolfgate
    Options

Yup, this. I don't need a light to see where I'm going. As I mentioned above, I DO get blinded sometimes by oncoming cars with their brights on, but a headlamp or flashlight wouldn't really help with that. I kind of find it odd that people need a light to see outside at night, unless you're in a more rural area (which I am not) or you know, in a cave. :) Where I am there are some street lights, a sidewalk and except for when the moon is in crescent or new phase, that provides some light as well.

OK, I can see that in those circumstances. Visiting Vegas, I ran pre-dawn without my headlamp because it's never needed there.

I run through suburbia, which has some streetlamps, but I prefer the softer asphalt over concrete sidewalks when going through the neighborhoods. That dictates a headlamp, IMHO. In that case it isn't totally about me seeing, it's also about being seen (hence my flashing red lights also front and back). Don't ever want to surprise sleepy driver who hasnt had coffee yet.
  • wolfgate
    Options
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the bike/running path I simply like running in the dark. The path is fairly new and I don't need to see where I'm going since I run there all the time.

On roads though I always use at least a blinking green light.