Baby carrots

Options
I like baby carrots...sort of. However, it seems like every time I eat them for a snack I feel more hungry than prior to eating them! It's so weird. I just ate a snack of 14 baby carrots and it feels like my stomach is about to eat itself. Does anyone else have issues with certain foods like that? You'd think that 14 baby carrots would fill me up but now I feel like I could eat a horse!

Replies

• katlew82
    Options
    I think it's probably because carrots (I'm pretty sure) are a "negative calorie" food- it takes more calories to digest them than the calories that they actually contribute to your body! Google it- there are certain foods that are like that (mostly vegetables)- try eating your carrots with some kind of protein, maybe have a hard boiled egg with them or something?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is something in carrots and even popcorn that make you feel less full or hungrier than before you start eating them. Try pairing them with something that you know will make you feel full.
  • katlew82
    Options
    Here's info about negative calorie foods- some people actually do a "negative calorie" diet, but I wouldn't really recommend that...

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/negative-calorie-foods.html
  • amwood83
    Options
    I would eat mine with peanut butter. I don't know if it sounds funky, but it tastes pretty good.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Yea, I heard carrots are a high glycemic food. When I was on South Beach I couldn't have them until Phase 2 (I believe). I usually stick to celery and PB or Apples and PB. Protein and Fiber.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Yummie yummie carrots :happy: I agree with eatting them with something. I normally make a larger lunch and add them to the side. Or steamed with dinner. If I just eat them as a snack I can eat the whole bag!!!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Yummie yummie carrots :happy: I agree with eatting them with something. I normally make a larger lunch and add them to the side. Or steamed with dinner. If I just eat them as a snack I can eat the whole bag!!!

I adore them steamed as a side dish...it's just eating them raw that wigs my stomach out. *sigh*
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I eat two serv at a time as a snack when I feel I need the crunch. After lunch I am fine with munching on them. Helps me stay away from the staff kitchen where all the yummy food is. But for me I am not hungry, just wanting to munch on something.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a Negative Calorie Food. It's a myth. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896346,00.html
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably because carrots (I'm pretty sure) are a "negative calorie" food- it takes more calories to digest them than the calories that they actually contribute to your body! Google it- there are certain foods that are like that (mostly vegetables)- try eating your carrots with some kind of protein, maybe have a hard boiled egg with them or something?

this is a myth. The whole "negative calorie" idea is a myth.

http://www.answerfitness.com/269/negative-calorie-foods-fact-fiction/
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    i feel hungry after eating them too. I wonder why?
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would eat mine with peanut butter. I don't know if it sounds funky, but it tastes pretty good.

i LOVE peanut butter with carrots!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    not sure why, but I do notice the same thing. Probably has something to do with the sugar levels in carrots, it's relatively high for a veggie. Dunno though. 6 oz of baby carrots have about 8 grams of Sugar in them. It's a good question.
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to baby carrots. I drive ALOT for work, and I keep a bowl of them in the car, eat them all day long. They are my best diet friends. Keeps me away from fast food.
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to baby carrots. I drive ALOT for work, and I keep a bowl of them in the car, eat them all day long. They are my best diet friends. Keeps me away from fast food.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've found that pairing carrots with hummus helps make them stick for longer, if that helps :3
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    I eat raw carrots almost every day and I've never noticed this.
    Weirdos. :tongue:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I make a low fat ranch dip to dip the carrots in so they are a little more filling.