No weight loss

Options
I didn't lose any weight this week. Help, I ate right and did 30 Day Shred, but the scale didn't budge. Could it be because I drank more water this week or because I only used the bathroom once?

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you lose weight. Some weeks you stall.

This can depend on loads of things. Hormones, weather, exercise, water retention and many more reasons.

Just focus on your weight loss over months instead of days or weeks. As long as the scale is still going down in the next three weeks, you are fine.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    or because I only used the bathroom once?

Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you only went to the bathroom ONCE during the whole week?!

Edit: Damn typos. :grumble:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    One week does not mean a plateau. Worry if it stays that way for 3 or 4 weeks.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 Day Shred, too, and despite a constant calorie defecit, I gained a pound! I think it really is because muscle weighs more than fat. That's what I'm going with, anyway. And water weight.
  • TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yes, I peed alot though
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    yes, I peed alot though

I think you should see a doctor. Pooping once a week is not normal.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else in that a one-week stall is not a problem and is to be expected occasionally.

I'm also concerned about your constipation--going a week without having a bowel movement gets into dangerous territory. You should book a doctor's appointment.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I've noticed that the body doesn't always lose in a linear pattern. That means that you may not lose weight in one week but might lose 2 in the next. You should give it a little more time.

I also agree with seeing a dr about the constipation.....you may also want to take a closer look at your diet and see if you are eating enough fiber.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 Day Shred, too, and despite a constant calorie defecit, I gained a pound! I think it really is because muscle weighs more than fat. That's what I'm going with, anyway. And water weight.

^^ This

My weight has stayed the same for two weeks now on the 30DS, but I am down two inches on my waist and hips and a half inch on my arms and thighs. It's water retention from the exercise. Keep drinking water and stick with it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    yes, I peed alot though

I think you should see a doctor. Pooping once a week is not normal.

^^

Check your food diary for fiber intake. You should be around 15-30 grans average per day.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

1) Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat..they weigh the same. Muscle is simply more dense.
    2) It's impossible to gain 1lb of muscle in a week
    3)Yes, water weight is more than likely the reason for your gain..along with a few other possibilities.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    or because I only used the bathroom once?

Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you only went to the bathroom ONCE during the whole week?!

Edit: Damn typos. :grumble:

I think she only pooped once. It is ok to say poop.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

You can not gain 1 lb of muscle eating at a calorie deficit doing 30 day shred for 1 week. More likely water retention.

Weight loss is not linear.
  • Mom2barefootbabes
    Options
    I posted almost thesame thing this morning, except I gained a pound :-/ But! i got some good suggestions. One of those is to measure. I checked, and I've actualy lost 4 inches the last two weeks...makes me happier than any number on the scale. GL!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking a lot of water. You could have been more stressed this week then last. Maintaining is still far better then gaining. Keep it up! :smile:
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know we all want to see immediate results when you've been putting in the effort, but people have got to stop panicking about not losing weight for a week!!! (I am talking to myself here too!)

Check out this woman's chart of her weight loss, showing ups and downs but a general downward trend over time:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506557-weight-loss-is-not-linear

I lost 8Ibs in the first week, then lost 5 Ibs over a 3 week period, then two weeks went up and down 2 Ibs (been doing 30 day shred too, did lose cms in measurements) now a 1Ib drop. All in all a stone (14 pounds) gone in 6 weeks. I'm happy with that and don't panic if it's not an even loss week by week.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Pooping once a week could be indicative of two things: calories are way too low + proteins too high in relationship to the fats. If when you erm, go, your output resembles that of a deer and is hard to part with, increase the healthy fats in your diet, like have an avocado a day and get fattier cuts of meat.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining fluids. You could be building muscle. I went almost 2 months without losing more than a lb or two but went down a size. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. Also if your muscles are sore they are probay swollen and would cause you to weigh more.

Sounds like you need more fiber. Start eating more fruits and vegetables. Plus drink a fiber drink like Metamucil every night. This was stressed to me by a trainer when I started weight lifting.
  • rtimmons2010
    rtimmons2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I'm new to MFP,, what is the 30 Day Shred???
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

1) Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat..they weigh the same. Muscle is simply more dense.
    2) It's impossible to gain 1lb of muscle in a week
    3)Yes, water weight is more than likely the reason for your gain..along with a few other possibilities.

If something is more dense, that means there is more matter contained in a given space, therefore it does weigh more, per volume. For example: 1 square inch of lead weighs more than 1 square inch of air, because it is more dense. So muscle, per volume, does weigh more than fat.

But other than that, yeah, you haven't gained a pound of muscle in one week, unfortunately (wouldn't we all love that!). I think it is likely water weight. And like they said, watch not just how much you are eating, but what you are eating. If you are not getting enough fiber or are getting too much sodium, you may be retaining water. If it's hormones, not much you can do..just wait and reweigh...don't get discouraged over one week of no loss. Slow and steady wins the race.