Tough Mudder apparel

I'm doing my first TM tomorrow and trying to figure out what the heck to wear. Only going to be in the mid 60s.... I'm sure I'll freeze regardless, but anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to dress? I'm leaning towards shorts and a tank top just to have as little wet clothes against me as possible.... Also, will my clothes be totally ruined? I guess I shouldn't wear my favorite lululemon shorts? haha

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I went to good will bought shirt and shorts and then washed and donated them back :-P
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    First.. yes, you're clothes will be "mud run" clothes forever after. As for apparel, there are 2 way to look at it. Warm and wet, or cold and dry. I'd say most people will be in the shorts and t-shirt camp. I wear long compression pants and a rash guard. These items are designed to wick away swat so they dry fairly quickly. They also don't hold on to much water so they won't weigh you down. Lastly, wind will not strip away as much heat from your body since less of it will be exposed. Oh, and less scrapes!
  • LKD87
    LKD87 Posts: 21
    hmm didn't even take wind into consideration, good point. Now I have to reevaluate haha
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    The website says they recommend something like a wetsuit for TMs in cold weather and that many people who didn't use one have had to drop out because of the cold...but I am not sure how many people actually do that, or exactly how cold they're talking about.

ETA: I'm doing my first one in Feb and probably in similar conditions, so weigh in afterward and let us know what you wore/how it went! Good luck!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    I did Rugged Maniac last saturday and I will be doing Run for your lives this sunday. Both are mud type runs. I suggest a sports bra or tank with one in it and shorts. Good luck and have fun!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    i prefer not to wear shorts at mud races because you do a lot of crawling in gritty mud (mud with dirt in it equals lots of scrapes on exposed skin). tight t shirt and capri style pants - oh and if you have it old stuff that as someone else said you can designate mud run clothes.