Calculating HRM Calories

Options
I have a quick question about logging the calories from my HRM. I have been multiplying the number of minutes I workout by 1.25 (the number of calories MFP accounts for me burning each minute throughout the day) and then subtracting that from the readout on my HRM before logging exercise into MFP.

For example. I just ran for 95 minutes and my HRM said I burned 723 calories. 95 x 1.25 = 118. 723 - 118 = 602 so that is what I logged into MFP.

Is this correct? Should I be doing this? Or should I just log the number on my HRM?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I log what my HRM says, it's significantly more accurate than what MFP says. MFP has no idea how hard you pushed yourself but your HRM does.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be doing math for this. Just keep it simple. Log what the HRM says and if you're not losing then adjust your base calorie setting on MFP. All of these numbers are just general guidelines of course. You didn't burn EXACTLY 723 calories so adjust your diet as needed to reach your goals.

I have my MFP setting as sedentary and add in the calories from cardio as they appear on my HRM. Works great for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I just log what my HRM says. My BMR works out to about 60 calories per hour so deducting it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.