When is a good time to workout???

mkwade7380
mkwade7380 Posts: 37
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying to figure out the best time for me to workout everyday. I work in a factory and I am on rotating shifts that rotate every week. Here is my schedule: 7am - 3pm, 11pm - 7am, and 3pm - 11pm. Now some of these days can turn into 12 hour days, either because of over time or being called in. On the 3-11 shift I work out in the morning when I wake up. On the 7am - 3 pm shift I tried getting up at 4:30 am to work out at 5, but was wondering if it would be better after work, because I know your body needs the rest at night. And on the 11pm - 7am shift I have no clue which would be best. Before work or after.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    I have tried many different times, I think first thing after breakfast in the morning works best. You get it out of the way and feel good for the rest of the day.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Mostly you want to find a time that works best for your body. I would recommend in genral working out before work. I know how the "Can you stay a bit longer?" thing works and I generally feel too exhausted to work out after that. So I would recommend before work any day you can.

Nice job so far on the weight loss.
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    I tthink you should just try a few different times and see what works best for you!!

I used to always do it at night, but ive learned if i do it at about 1pm (like lunch break) that ill actually get it done, and im NOT good at waking up and doing it right away, too tempting to just sleep a little longer, plus i'd get hungry earlier...

So what works best for ME is at about 1 or 2pm after ive had a little snack maybe ill go exercise and then shower and then have lunch!

and if im really into it I might do a little right before bed, and the machine is facing the tv so its an excuse to watch some tv or read a book!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    My answer to this is, whenever you'll do it.

Ideally, I'd like to get up and work out every morning. But I know from the past that it usually doesn't work out like that. So, on 3 monrings I get up and run, then on non-running days I do strength training in the evenings. That's what works for me right now. That my change at some point.

If you're looking for, what would be the most effective time to work out?? Forget about it, any difference, if there is any, is very minimal.

Just remember a work out that is completed regardless of the time, is more effective than one that doesn't get done.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Actually... By setting a routine, your body then adjusts to a schedule and then begins to rely and count on it. This forms at some point a pleatue. If you're constantly chaning your work out times due to your work schedule, you tend to confuse the body. This tends to create a slightly higher metabolism and there fore your weight loss should continue.

obviously we are all different and things work differently for everyone. I hope you find something that works for you, and good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.