Pumpkin?

Options
I know October is all festive with the pumpkin carving, halloween decorating and trick or treating but does anyone have any yummy food or sweets recipes that aren't too unhealthy? I've never eaten anything pumpkin and now that October is here I wanted to try some so unhealthy doesn't mean bad in this case. lol. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I found this one on here. It is yummy. Thanksgiving in a glass!!

Pumpkin Spice Frappe
    Prep Time: 3 minutes
    Total Time: 3 minutes
    Yield: 2 Heaping Cups
    Serving Size: 2 Heaping Cups

frozen blended coffee drink that is creamy, sweet and tastes just like pumpkin pie.
    Ingredients
    1. 1 1/2 cups coffee, frozen, partially thawed
    2. 2 Tbsp. pumpkin, canned
    3. 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    4. 1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice, ground
    5. 1 tsp. stevia
    6. 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    7. 2 tbsp. whip cream, fat free
    8. 1 dash cinnamon, ground
    Instructions
    1. In a blender add coffee, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin spice, stevia and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
    2. Pour into a glass and top with whip cream and sprinkle of cinnamon.
    Notes
    Calories for the whole thing including whip cream: 45.6, Fat: 2.6, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 8,9, Potassium: 35.6, Carbs: 3.9, Fiber: 1.2, Sugar: 2.2, Protein: 1.1
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    That sounds really good! I'm not sure what stevia is though. Thank you for your post :)
  • wakechick25
    Options
    Here is a pumpkin smoothie recipe I found that I want to try!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 very ripe medium-sized banana
    3/4 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
    1 tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup crushed ice
  • wakechick25
    Options
    Does anyone have a healthy pumpkin muffin recipe? I have been looking for one, I love anything with pumpkin in it :)
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste.com has a great pumpkin cupcake recipe w/ homemade cream cheese icing. I thought they were very good! However, I suck at making homemade icing so my second batch, I bought premade icing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I found this one on here. It is yummy. Thanksgiving in a glass!!

Pumpkin Spice Frappe
    Prep Time: 3 minutes
    Total Time: 3 minutes
    Yield: 2 Heaping Cups
    Serving Size: 2 Heaping Cups

frozen blended coffee drink that is creamy, sweet and tastes just like pumpkin pie.
    Ingredients
    1. 1 1/2 cups coffee, frozen, partially thawed
    2. 2 Tbsp. pumpkin, canned
    3. 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    4. 1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice, ground
    5. 1 tsp. stevia
    6. 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    7. 2 tbsp. whip cream, fat free
    8. 1 dash cinnamon, ground
    Instructions
    1. In a blender add coffee, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin spice, stevia and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
    2. Pour into a glass and top with whip cream and sprinkle of cinnamon.
    Notes
    Calories for the whole thing including whip cream: 45.6, Fat: 2.6, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 8,9, Potassium: 35.6, Carbs: 3.9, Fiber: 1.2, Sugar: 2.2, Protein: 1.1

Not to be rude, but are you sure the calorie and fat count for this is correct? One cup of regular coconut milk, unsweetened (I don't think I've ever had "sweetened" coconut milk), is 552 calories and 57g of fat. A half cup yields a drink that is 45 calories and 2.6g of fat? I don't buy that.

Are you talking about almond milk??
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wakechic: I do not have a recipe, but I would be willing to bet that if you took a zuchini bread recipe and stubstuted grated pumpkin that you should get something close to what you are looking for. Maybe add a little pumpkin pie spice to the batter.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Skinny Taste has Pumpkin Spiced Crepes with homemade Pumpkin butter! - very awesome!

Also, you can add a 15oz can of pumpkin to any cake mix (no eggs or oil)- I also add 1 cup of water or egg whites. If you use it on a white mix- add pumpkin pie spice to get the full pumpkin flavor!!!!

Otherwise I add the pumpkin to Spice Cake Mix, and Butter Pecan Mix and it's tasty!!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural sweetener. It's basically an herb that has a sweet taste. You can find stevia extract at health food stores or grow your own. There is also a processed version called Truvia that is available at supermarkets.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pumpkin. Can't wait to try these!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste.com has a great pumpkin cupcake recipe w/ homemade cream cheese icing. I thought they were very good! However, I suck at making homemade icing so my second batch, I bought premade icing.

These are yummy--I screwed up the icing, so just had the cupcakes, and they were SUPER good!! I think I forgot to drain my pumpkin on the icing...not sure...is was very gushy.
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I found a fairly simple pumpkin muffin recipe and it's only about 100 calories per muffin, the webiste said more like 97 or 98 but it depends on the number of muffins you make per batch and the type of cake batter you use. You use a box of cake mix, the recipe called for yellow but I prefer to use a spice cake mix to give it a better flavor, and one 15 oz. can of pure pumpkin. Mix together (Note: that this a very thick batter, but think of the calories you can lose by mixing by hand :happy: )and bake at the required temp for the cake mix. I added a little vanilla and some cinnamon to mine and I think in the next back I'm going to add crushed pumpkin seeds to the top as a crust, kind of like the pumpkin bread at starbucks.

19236416.png
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Not to be rude, but are you sure the calorie and fat count for this is correct? One cup of regular coconut milk, unsweetened (I don't think I've ever had "sweetened" coconut milk), is 552 calories and 57g of fat. A half cup yields a drink that is 45 calories and 2.6g of fat? I don't buy that.

Are you talking about almond milk??
    [/quote]

He is probably talking about Silk - Pure Coconut - it's coconut milk with only 80 calories per cup - the vanilla flavor is 90 calories per cup and 5 grams of fat :wink: http://silkpurecoconut.com/

I make pumpkin muffins with a spice cake mix and one 15 oz can of pumpkin. No oil or eggs, just a can of pumpkin and the cake mix. Calories/fat depend on the cake mix you use. It is really thick... you can put a little bit of water in to help thin it out. Makes really good cupcakes.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

He is probably talking about Silk - Pure Coconut - it's coconut milk with only 80 calories per cup - the vanilla flavor is 90 calories per cup and 5 grams of fat :wink: http://silkpurecoconut.com/

ahh, I see, not "coconut milk" but more like coconut "milk" :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    ^^ I think the frap recipe would be better with unsweetened vanilla almond milk myself, and that is only 20 calories per 1/2 cup. :smile:
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I take a standard pumpkin pie recipe, use splenda rather than sugar and fat free condensed milk, pour into a pie pan without a crust, bake per directions and have "pumpkin souffle" (don't eat pie crusts on pies, except apple, so why waste the time/$ on one? Also, no worries about the crust getting soggy after a day or so)
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Flourless Pumpkin Oat Muffins

1 15oz can pure pumpkin
    3 cups quick oats (I use half ground into flour)
    3 eggs
    1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
    222g (slightly less than 1 cup) unsweetened applesauce - this is the same as 2 motts single servings
    1/3 cup stevia (cup for cup measure)
    1tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1tbsp pumpkin pie spice

Bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Makes approx 16 muffins at around 80 calories each.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I've made Tuscan Pumpkin and White bean soup, pumpkin stew, pumpkin chili, and a few others that now I can't remember. We have an "Anything pumpkin" cook-off every year at Halloween and I have been in the top 3 with all of these. I tend to go for more savory because I know everyone else is going sweet.
  • PowerLabMissy
    PowerLabMissy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin is super healthy! This soup recipe is delicious and my whole family loved it. It takes a little work to peel the pumpkin, but it's well worth it. :)

Pumpkin Soup

2TBSP Olive Oil
    2 med onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 lb pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (I used a 2.5lb "Sweet Pie" pumpkin.)
    6 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lrg orange
    3 TBSP fresh thyme
    3/4 Cup milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat Oil, sauté onions for 3-4min, add garlic and pumpkin, sauté 2 min.
    Add stock, orange rind, juice and thyme, simmer until pumpkin is soft.
    Blend mixture (or mash with potato masher, until smooth), add milk, salt and pepper.

It serves 4 BIG servings and is about 175 cal per serving.

3292144.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools